Salt potato salad creates a creamy side dish with absolutely no mayonnaise! Make this updated take on the classic picnic recipe for your next barbecue or potluck.
Summer just begs for potato salad.
My family and I love all sorts of it, but sometimes I get sick of traditional mayo loaded spuds.
It gets boring and predictable plus it doesn’t hold up well if it’s sitting outside on a hot day.
Enter this creamy take with absolutely no mayo whatsoever.
What is salt potato salad?
This recipe relies on the natural creaminess of salt potatoes.
Salt potatoes are smaller, whole potatoes boiled in very salty water.
The salt creates insanely creamy potatoes that practically melt in your mouth.
How to Make
This is a very easy recipe to make!
Start by making actual salt potatoes.
These form the base of the whole dish, and their innate creaminess is why this potato salad works without the need for mayo or sour cream.
If you have your own recipe, you can absolutely use that.
If you’re new to making this kind of potato- then I suggest checking out our step by step instructions found HERE.
Let the prepared spuds cool and then chop them.
Put the potatoes in a large mixing bowl and set them aside.
Now melt a stick of butter in a skillet or soup pot.
Whisk apple cider vinegar, sherry and garlic into the melted better.
Next, stir in the onions, herbs, and pepper.
Combining these ingredients will create a simple dressing, almost like a vinaigrette.
Pour the dressing over the potatoes and gently toss until everything is combined.
Top with crumbled bacon and serve warm.
It’s a similar take on the German version of potato salad, but with a lighter and fresher feel.
Much more in line with Summer and out door eating that won’t weigh you down.
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
How to Reheat
Reheat them by popping the leftovers into a microwave safe dish and microwaving for 2-3 minutes until the butter has softened.
Toss the potatoes gently to re-coat them with the dressing.
Tips and Tricks
- Make the salt potatoes with enough time to allow them to cool before cutting them.
- Cut the potatoes into roughly equal pieces.
- Use any combination of herbs you prefer. Parsley is very nice on this.
Other Picnic Sides You Might Like
This salt potato salad is a delicious creamy recipe with no mayo and tons of flavor. Make it for your next picnic or potluck and enjoy!
Looking for another picnic side idea? Try these:
Need some other potato salad inspiration? Here are some of our favorites!
- Grandma’s Classic Southern Style Potato Salad
- Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- Dill Pickle Potato Salad
- Tzatziki Style Potato Salad
If you’ve tried this SALT POTATO SALAD, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on.
Salt Potato Salad
- 6 cups cooled, chopped salt potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sherry
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2-3/4 cup chopped fresh herbs parsley/cilantro/basil- whatever combination you prefer
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4-5 strips bacon cooked crisp & crumbled
- Melt the butter in a small skillet or soup pot.
- To the melted butter, add the vinegar, sherry, and garlic. Whisk until combined.
- Add the onions, herbs, and pepper- stirring to combine.
- Add the potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Pour the dressing over top, and gently toss just until everything's evenly combined.
- Serve warm, topped with crisp bacon crumbles, and enjoy!