Zucchini rice casserole with bacon is a delicious make ahead dinner or brunch option. Loaded with shredded summer squash, cheese and rice, this egg based casserole is an easy dish your whole family will love!
We really went all out with the garden this year and my zucchini is growing like crazy!
That means I am up to my ears in all squash.
And I’ve been making all sorts of summer squash creations like this sausage zucchini casserole to use up all squash I can.
This zucchini rice casserole with bacon is one of our new favorites.
Zucchini Casserole- Perfect for Dinner…. or Breakfast!
Part of what we love so much about this recipe is that it is really good for any meal of the day.
With it’s egg and cheese base, it has a texture similar to the filling of quiche so you can enjoy it not just as dinner but as an easy breakfast or brunch that you can make assemble the night before.
The rice in it cooks up similarly to hash browns, again another point in it’s favor for either brunch or supper.
How to Make
This recipe is so easy!
To make it, whisk the eggs and oil together in a large bowl until they are evenly combined.
Season the mixture with salt and pepper and stir in the cheese.
Add the shredded zucchini, cooked and crumbled bacon, uncooked rice and garlic. Stir until combined.
Then pour the mixture into a 9×13 baking dish that you’ve sprayed with nonstick spray.
Bake at 350 for an hour or until the rice is fluffy and the top is golden.
Remove from the oven and let rest 5 minutes before serving.
How to Grate or Shred Zucchini
Shredding or grating zucchini doesn’t have to be difficult.
To save time and make the prep for this recipe a snap, I use my food processor to shred my squash.
Don’t have one?
You can do it the old fashioned way and shred it with a large cheese grater.
Making it Ahead
If you want to make this casserole ahead of time, whisk everything together as described above.
Then pour it into your prepared 9×13 baking dish.
Cover it tightly and refrigerate it until you are ready to bake it.
You can store any leftovers in the fridge or freezer.
To store in the fridge, tightly cover the cooked casserole and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
You can reheat in the microwave or in the oven.
Leftovers can also be frozen.
To freeze, cut the leftovers into individual portions and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
Freeze for up to 3 months and reheat by microwave for 2-3 minutes.
Tips and Tricks
- Garnish with freshly chopped tomatoes, extra bacon, and fresh chopped herbs- if desired.
- You can use chopped ham in place of bacon, or even turkey bacon if desired.
- If you don’t have access to quick cooking long grain rices like basmati, or jasmine rice, then you can use instant rice as a substitute.
Looking for other make ahead casseroles? Try these:
This zucchini rice casserole with bacon is a versatile make ahead dish your family will love. Make it for an effortless dinner or breakfast this week!
Looking for another make ahead casserole? Try these:
- Rotisserie Chicken & Rice Casserole
- Cheesy Beef Taquito Casserole
- Monterrey Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
Looking for more make ahead casseroles with breakfast or brunch specifically in mind? Give these a try!
If you’ve tried this ZUCCHINI RICE CASSEROLE WITH BACON, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on.
Zucchini Rice Casserole with Bacon
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lb shredded zucchini do not try to drain excess moisture
- 3/4 cup basmati rice uncooked
- 6 slices bacon cooked crisp, crumbled
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add the eggs & oil to a large mixing bowl. Whisk them together until evenly combined.
- Stir in the cheeses until they're evenly incorporated. Season the mixture with salt & pepper.
- Add the zucchini, rice, bacon, and garlic. Stir just until combined.
- Lightly spray a 9x13" baking dish with non stick cooking spray. Transfer the casserole mixture to the dish, and spread out evenly.
- Bake the casserole at 350 degrees for 60 minutes, or until the rice has puffed and the top of the casserole is golden brown.
- Let the casserole rest 5 minutes before serving.