Chile rellenos breakfast casserole is a delicious way to elevate your first meal of the day. This cheesy recipe spices up breakfast with chorizo, chile peppers and spices dotted throughout hash browns and eggs.
I love to switch up breakfast. Sure there’s standards like pancakes or bacon and eggs on the weekends and a quick bowl of cereal during the week, but that gets old pretty fast.
Loaded with southwest flavors, this casserole jazzes up breakfast really fast.
And because it’s a casserole, it’s perfect not only for weekends but also for busy weekday mornings since you can reheat it for several days.
What are chile rellenos?
Chile rellenos are a variation of a popular Mexican dish.
The Mexican version is a green chile filled with meat and cheese and battered in egg.
My breakfast casserole uses all these flavors in a much easier way than making stuffed battered peppers.
How to Make
Start by spraying a 9×13″ baking dish with nonstick spray.
Spread half of the shredded hash browns over the bottom of the dish.
Next layer all the green chiles evenly over the the potatoes and then pour on all the picante sauce.
Now cover this with half of the sausage.
Spread half of the cheese out over the first layer of sausage.
Now repeat the layers with the remaining potatoes, sausage and cheese.
When you’ve got the layers made, add the eggs, milk and seasonings to a mixing bowl and whisk them together until they are evenly combined.
Then pour the mixture evenly over the casserole.
Bake the casserole uncovered for 35-40 minutes at 350.
The eggs will be set in the center when it’s done.
Let the casserole cool on the counter for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
You can also freeze a cooked casserole for 2 to 3 months.
To freeze, let it cool.
Transfer it to a freezer safe container if you didn’t cook it a freezer friendly aluminum tray. Cover it and wrap it tightly in cling wrap.
To thaw and reheat, remove the casserole from the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
2 to 3 hours after transferring it to the fridge, unwrap it from the cling wrap and cover it gently to prevent condensation.
Once fully thawed reheat in the oven or microwave.
How to Reheat
You can either microwave or use the oven.
Microwaving is fast and convenient but your breakfast casserole may be soggy or rubbery when reheated.
Reheating it in the oven takes more time but results in better texture.
Tips and Tricks
- Adjust the heat level by choosing a milder sauce instead of picante sauce.
- Don’t skip letting the casserole rest so it fully sets.
- Add additional cheese if desired.
Other Breakfast Casseroles You Might Enjoy
This chile rellenos breakfast casserole is a delicious way to add flavor to your morning routine.
Make it for a delicious make ahead breakfast or an easy way to feed a crowd and enjoy!
Looking for another breakfast casserole? Try these:
If you want to keep the Tex Mex taste in your breakfast, but need other ideas- there are great too!
If you’ve tried this CHILI RELLENOS BREAKFAST CASSEROLE, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on.
Chili Rellenos Breakfast Casserole
- 1 20 oz pkg refrigerated shredded hash browns
- 1 lb chorizo sausage cooked, crumbled, and drained of grease
- 8 oz canned diced green chile peppers or two small cans, drained
- 1/2 cup picante sauce
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheeses
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- Lightly spray a 9x13" baking dish with non stick cooking spray. Layer half the potatoes evenly out over the bottom of the dish.
- Spread all of the green chilies evenly out over top of the potatoes. Pour all of the picante sauce evenly out over top.
- Cover this with an even layer of half of the sausage, and sprinkle half of the cheeses out over top. Repeat with the remaining half of potatoes, sausage, and finally cheese.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, milk, and seasonings. Whisk them together until the mixture's smooth & evenly incorporated.
- Pour this mixture evenly out into the casserole dish.
- Bake the casserole, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until the eggs are set in the center.
- Let the casserole rest 5-10 minutes before serving.
Leave a Comment