If you think egg rolls are only to be found on Chinese take-out menus, or in the Asian section of the frozen food aisle, it’s time to think again.
If you’re an egg roll purist who firmly believes this American-iced version of the traditional spring roll should only be hiding a blend of pork, cabbage, maybe a few other veggies, and a bevy of seasoning that’s cool, we have the perfect easy egg roll recipe for you.
But if you can close your eyes and picture that perfectly fried, crispy egg roll shell breaking open as you bite into it, revealing a filling of creamy Mac & Cheese, studded with ham or bacon then you’re on the same level as we are with this recipe.
These just call to the kid in me, the fun foodie, and the carb enthusiast within.
Why yes, I’d like some carbs with my carbs. Because, all the carbs.
Serve them with a side of your favorite barbecue sauce for dipping.
- 2 cups macaroni and cheese chilled
- 4 slices cooked bacon crumbled, or 1/2 cup cooked, diced ham
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- vegetable oil for frying
- barbecue sauce for dipping
- Heat oil in a deep fryer, Dutch Oven, or other safe pot to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the macaroni and cheese and the bacon or ham together. Spoon about ¼ cup onto each egg roll wrapper. Dampen the edges of the egg roll wrapper with water. Roll up, into a closed egg roll, according to the package directions.
- Cover the uncooked egg roll with a damp paper towel until ready to fry.
- Repeat the steps with the remaining ingredients.
- Working with just a few of the assembled egg rolls at a time, fry them until well browned, about 4 minutes. Place the cooked egg rolls onto a layer of paper towels to drain and get rid of any excess grease.
- Serve them warm with barbecue sauce on the side, for dipping.
Like what you see? Check out these other yummy egg roll ideas…