Crispy miniature egg rolls are bursting with cheesy jalapeno flavored cream cheese filling & studded with bacon for a delicious appetizer that was made to be shared with a crowd. These jalapeno popper egg rolls are perfect for get-togethers & Game days.
As if a classic case of the Mondays wasn’t hard enough to to beat already, it’s also rainy. And it’s supposed to be rainy for most of the week.
Talk about a lack-luster start to the week. But I’m not letting that stop me from bringing you this snack recipe.
I know, I know, such dedication. I mean it, I’m putting off my nap for it 😉 I kid, kinda.
These are everything you love about jalapeño poppers, but cleverly tucked into a mini fried egg roll shell.
Talk about having a surprise hidden inside!
They’re creamy, they’re cheesy, bacon-y, and spicy with just the right amount of crunch.
These miniature jalapeno popper egg rolls are great party appetizers, and they’re also great grub for game day.
Got leftovers? Or want to make them on a day you’re feeling like cooking, and save them for a rainy day when you’re totally not in the mood? These fried egg rolls freeze beautifully!
To freeze them, prepare the egg rolls as instructed and lay them on a wax paper covered baking sheet (seam side down until) all have been stuffed and rolled.
Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour. Once the egg rolls have been mostly frozen, remove them from the freezer and place them inside a large ziplocking freezer bag.
Seal tight, squeezing out any excess air as you do. This will help prevent freezer burn. They will keep for 2-3 months stored in the freezer.
When you’re ready to enjoy them, heat the oil according to the instructions and cook the still frozen egg rolls for 4 minutes, or until golden brown on the outside and the filling has melted. Let them drain & rest, as instructed, before enjoying.
Don’t like fried food, or do dietary restrictions keep you from eating or enjoying fried foods? These egg rolls can also be baked.
The texture will be different & they won’t have that same crisp as if fried, but they’re still delightful all the same.
To bake these jalapeno popper flavored egg rolls, lightly oil a rimmed baking sheet. Place the freshly prepared egg rolls on the pan. Lightly brush them with water. Lightly, they don’t need much.
Bake them at 450 degrees, watching them, and when the tops are golden brown and crisp- turn the egg rolls over. Lightly brush them again with water, and continue to bake until the top’s golden brown.
As written the recipe makes two bite sized, miniature egg rolls- if you’d prefer the full size version buy egg roll wrappers instead of wonton wrappers. Double the filling, and follow the instructions as written otherwise.
If you’ve tried these CRISPY JALAPENO POPPER EGG ROLLS, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Crispy Jalapeno Popper Egg Rolls
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers seeded and diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 green onions finely sliced
- 1-2 slices bacon cooked crisp & crumbled
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- canola oil for frying
- In a large skillet or medium-large pot, heat the oil to 350 degrees.
- Stir together the cream cheese, cheddar, jalapeño peppers, garlic powder, green onions, and bacon until evenly combined.
- Place each wonton wrapper diagonally (like a diamond) and add 1 tablespoon of filling. Brush a little bit of water on the edge of the wrapper and fold in half pinching to seal. Fold the sides in and roll the egg roll ensuring it is completely sealed.
- Drop each egg roll into the hot oil for about 3 minutes, or until brown and crispy.
- Remove the fried egg rolls to paper towels to drain. Let them rest about 5 minutes before serving.
recipe adapted from Spend With Pennies
Like this idea? Be sure to check out these other fun egg roll ideas!