Homemade buffalo sauce gives you restaurant quality wings and flavor at home. You’ll ditch the premade sauce for good with this easy recipe!
With football season well-underway, my kitchen is pumping out everything buffalo.
To steal a line from Frank’s (our favorite hot sauce), “we put that ish on everything!” And chance are, you will too!
It’s super easy to make your own buffalo sauce and only takes about as much time as it takes to melt butter on the stove.
Once you know what to do, you’re going to ditch the store bought versions for good!
Four ingredients and you are own your way to bold flavor. To make this, you’ll need:
- Butter – You can use either salted or unsalted, whatever you prefer.
- Franks Red Hot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce – Frank’s is our family’s favorite, but you can use your favorite brand.
- Distilled vinegar – If you don’t have distilled, you can use white or white wine vinegar.
- Worcestershire sauce – Really no substitute for this, but it adds great flavor so don’t skip it.
How to make
Homemade buffalo sauce is super easy to make, so there really is not excuse to purchase a premade bottle.
To start, melt your butter in a medium sized skillet over medium-low heat.
Once the butter has melted completely, whisk in the rest of the ingredients until they form a smooth, fully incorporated sauce.
Serve immediately, mix into your favorite recipe, or toss with your wings.
Tips and Tricks
- You can easily halve or double the sauce based on your needs for it.
- This sauce is more on the mild side when it comes to heat. If you want to kick it up a notch, you can whisk in some cayenne pepper or other hot peppers to give it the kick you want.
- The sauce starts off a bit runny or thin. This is normal! It will start to thicken as it cools so no need to do anything special to it.
What to Use It On
Now that you’ve got a delicious sauce, it’s time to figure out what you are going to serve it with. Our family loves it on wings or mixed into any one of my countless buffalo-style recipes.
Here are some of ways to use this bold sauce:
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs (with Bleu Cheese Sauce)
- Loaded Buffalo Cheese Fries
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Lasagna
- Crockpot Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Pasta
If you’ve tried this HOMEMADE BUFFALO SAUCE, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 1/3 cups Franks red hot original cayenne pepper sauce
- 4 tbsp distilled vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Add the butter to a medium sized skillet set over medium low heat, and let it melt.
- As soon as the butter's completely melted, whisk in the remaining ingredients until smooth & completely incorporated.
- Serve immediately, or use in any recipe requiring buffalo sauce.
- This homemade sauce can be stored in a sealed glass jar for up to two weeks. Add the sauce while still hot, then close with tinplate and sealing ring. The heat will suck the plate down, creating a safe seal.
- Once opened, use the sauce within 24 hours.