Think getting dinner on the table in just 15 minutes is something you can only dream of? These skillet barbecue beef sandwiches are savory with caramelized onion and tender strips of deli cut roast beef bathed in barbecue sauce piled high on fluffy buns. Paired with simple sides it’s a filling meal you can feel good about serving, without stressing about getting dinner done on time.
Barbecued beef is one of my favorite ways to stuff a sandwich bun.
Usually, it involves a beef roast that’s spent all day in the crockpot simmering in a rich sauce and steeped in juices until it’s falling apart and ready to melt in your mouth.
This though, assumes that when I put everything in the crockpot that morning, that I actually remembered to turn it on before I headed out the door.
So now, it’s dinner time and this dum dum still wants her barbecued beef. What’s a gal to do?
She figures out how to whip up a different recipe for barbecue beef that’s made in a skillet on the stove top, and is ready in only 15 minutes.
I’ve gotta say, that’s one heck of a recovery and went a little way towards redeeming me in the eyes of my by now, starved husband and children.
And this story is assuming that most days I follow a meal plan, or have some other method of preparedness where I wake up knowing what we’ll be having for dinner.
Some days not so much, and on those days, I’m scratching my head along with everyone else up until the internal dinner bell rings.
Then the fun really starts, because again, I’ve only got about 15 minutes until the troops start to mutiny. Good thing I work well under pressure.
Roast beef and barbecue go hand in hand together. Seriously.
They’re like the apple pie and ice cream of the sandwich world, and in this recipe not only do the flavors work but both the meat and the sauce cook together in a flash and are ready to go from skillet to bun in no time.
Tender, thin strips of roast beef & sauteed onions, dripping with a smoky, sweet, semi-homemade barbecue sauce are piled high on soft sandwich buns.
Serve these skillet barbecue beef sandwiches with corn on the cob and a side salad for a quick and easy, stress-free meal.
If you’ve tried these SKILLET BARBECUE BEEF SANDWICHES, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
15 Minute, Skillet Barbecue Beef Sandwiches
- 1 small white onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup smoky barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup chili sauce such as Heinz
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb very thinly sliced deli roast beef cut into strips or steak, again cut into very thin strips
- sandwich buns
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and then add in the onion and saute until tender and they're beginning to turn golden.
- Next, add in the barbecue sauce, chili sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar and Worcerstershire sauce and whisk them all together until they've fully incorporated into a smooth sauce. Bring the sauce to a simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium heat.
- Add the beef to the skillet and gently toss it to evenly coat the strips with sauce. Remove the skillet from heat once the beef mixture is heated through. Serve it, piled high, on your favorite sandwich buns.