Dill pickle dip is a smooth and velvety sour cream based dip, studded with crisp briny dill pickle chunks. Fresh dill and other seasonings play up the pickle flavor. The easy dip makes a refreshing appetizer or snack for spring and summer.
The warmer weather for me means casual and easy. Just like the song says, “Summertime and the livin’s easy.” That’s pretty much the motto I try to follow for all things once the weather warms up.
I certainly follow that motto this time of year for all things food. Now that it’s finally beautiful outside, I don’t want to spend a bunch of time making really complicated things. Instead, I keep easy to make recipes that don’t require a lot of prep time in my back pocket. This dill pickle dip is one of those recipes. It’s so quick and easy to make. You don’t need to cook anything or use a mixer. All you need is a bowl and a spoon. Simple.
To make this dill pickle dip, start by putting a block of softened cream cheese in a bowl with 16 ounces of sour cream. Stir together with a spoon or spatula until it’s well combined. Then just mix in the chopped dill pickles, the dill, garlic and onion powder. And then you just stir until combined again. That’s it. Then this dip is ready to go.
Just a note, if you plan to make this dip ahead of time, reserve a bit of pickle juice from the dill pickles. You may want to stir in a little bit to keep it from setting up and solidifying too much in the fridge. If you are making this right before serving, don’t worry about that. The dip will be nice and soft, perfect for dunking a chip into.
This easy dip is so delicious. The pickles have a briny saltiness that contrast the refreshing cream cheese and tangy sour cream nicely. And the added dill gives this dip a freshness that makes it perfect for summer served with baby carrots, cucumbers, or celery.
I also love to serve it with crackers and tortilla chips. Or if you are feeling adventurous or fancy, you could use the dip as a spread on a sandwich or wrap in place of mayo or another spread.
Tips & Tricks:
- Mixing the cream cheese & sour cream together by hand is great, but that can tire you out. If you’re not up to it, use a hand mixer instead.
- You can use your favorite pickles, obviously. However, I really suggest the Claussen brand. They’re kept cold so they’re always crisp, and never slimy.
- The recipe notes chilling the dip overnight. The dip needs to chill, covered, for at least 2 hours but will hold up if made ahead and stored overnight.
- The recipe calls for regular cream cheese, but in this instance- it’s totally ok to sub the low fat version.
No matter what you decide to serve this dill pickle dip with, it is a quick and delicious dip for easy entertaining and summertime living.
Other Simple Creamy Dips To Enjoy:
Dill Pickle Dip
- 1- 8 ounces Cream Cheese softened
- 1- 16 oz Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Finely Chopped Fresh Dill
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 cup Chopped Dill Pickles
- In a large bowl, mix cream cheese and sour cream until combined.
- Add all other ingredients and mix together.
- Cover the dish & refrigerate overnight before enjoying!