A yummy skillet dish, this Breakfast Mac And Cheese is everything you love about a traditional breakfast or brunch– in. one. dish. All your favorite flavors, in macaroni and cheese. It’s amazing and mind/taste bud blowing all at once, in the best possible of ways.
I know that there are kids out there who don’t actually like or care for macaroni and cheese. My kids are not those kids.
The youngest son used to throw tantrums when I drew the line after like Day 3 of that being the only thing he wanted for lunch. Now that we’ve aged out of fits of anger and uncontrollable tears, the negotiations for macaroni and cheese for ALL THE MEALS is no less intense.
The now seven-year-old son lobbies for it for any and every meal where he’s given a choice or asked for an opinion. He’s like a little professional too, always confusing me by pulling out logic and stuff, especially when it comes from such a little mouth.
I can totally relate to his love of this amazing food group. Yes, my friends– macaroni and cheese, and all it’s glorious interpretations– is a food group.
It’s a thing. Promise.
I can even sympathize with his ‘need; to eat it for every meal. However, that just ain’t gonna happen little buddy.
What I can do is compromise. By compromise, I mean find different yummy things and bits to stir in to turn it into a whole meal that takes on any variety of flavors.
We’ve turned it into a Game Day and tailgating specialty with this Buffalo version. Classed it up by adding White Cheddar, Pumpkin, and a Crumb Topping. We’ve even gone as far as to stuff it in Egg Rolls, into a Grilled Cheese Sandwich, a pizza, and even SOUP.
With a resume this impressive and seemingly comprehensive, where were we to go from there??
Had we already peaked? Was there no more glorious-ness to discover?
But we decided to go where nobody had yet decided to go before in the mac and cheese food-iverse… BREAKFAST. Breakfast Mac And Cheese.
An easy meal that’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, dinner– even lunch– this Breakfast Mac And Cheese has it all. It’s creamy, it’s cheesy, it’s loaded with maple flavored sausage chunks, veggies, and three different kinds of cheese. Topped with egg-tossed chunks of crusty bread, it’s literally all your favorite breakfast foods in one perfect dish.
Breakfast Mac And Cheese
- 1 lb of pasta
- 1 lb maple-flavored pork sausage
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 4 tbsp butter
- 6 tbsp flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded colby jack cheese
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
- 5 or 6 cooked breakfast biscuits
- Bake the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process, set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet, over medium heat, cook the sausage-- breaking up as it cooks, until done. Drain, and set aside.
- To the greasy skillet, add the onion and pepper, cooking until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the reserved sausage.
- Add the butter to the pan and melt over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in roughly 2/3 of the cheese, stirring until it's melted and the mixture's smooth. Salt and pepper the sauce, to taste.
- Stir in the cooked pasta, sausage, and veggies until everything's evenly incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs together and then stir in the remaining cheese plus the crumbled biscuits. Pour this mixture on top of the mac and cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve warm, with a drizzle of maple syrup, if desired.