A rich and creamy casserole, this Chicken Verde Pepper Jack Mac & Cheese is cheesy Tex Mex heaven. It delivers the same flavors you love in chicken verde enchiladas but with only 6 ingredients, and half the work- making it a must-have family favorite, 30 minute meal.
When life gets hard, my recipes get easier.
There’s nothing simpler than a solid recipe for a good mac & cheese. Even better is when it is a complete meal in one- like one that includes the main meat and a creamy cheese sauce. Served with a side of your favorite veggies, this Chicken Verde Pepper Jack Mac & Cheese is the whole she-bang.
Even better, this dinner dish is quick & easy, making it perfect for busy nights or for last minute meals. If you think I’m exaggerating when I call it simple, I promise I’m not. This requires only 6, SIX, ingredients, and from start to finish is on your table and being plated in 30 minutes flat.
Work long hours and need dinner ready to go when you walk in the door? Assemble the dish the night before, refrigerate and pop it in the oven when you get home. By the time you’ve changed out of your work clothes and had a minute to breath, dinner’s ready making sticking with homework and bed time routines a breeze.
My husband likes things on the spicier side. I just can’t handle the heat. We compromised on a single can of green chilies, but if you’ve got picky eaters at home (or you’re just a wimp like me) you can easily halve the green chilies. If you’re still worried, even the pepper jack can be down-graded by subbing shredded Monterrey jack cheese.
Luckily for me, and now for you too, our Chicken Verde Pepper Jack Mac & Cheese is an easily adaptable the whole family will love.
Love creamy verde chicken enchiladas, but don’t have all the time it takes to make them for dinner when a craving strikes? Chicken Verde Pepper Jack Mac & Cheese is here to save the day!
Chicken Verde Pepper Jack Mac & Cheese
- 2-3 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups elbow macaroni noodles
- 1 10 oz can green enchilada sauce
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 8 oz pepper jack cheese, shredded
- Cook the pasta to al dente, according to the package instructions. Immediately drain and run under cold water to stop cooking.
- To a large skillet, add the chicken, enchilada sauce, and chiles. Stir everything together until evenly combined and bring the mixture to a simmer. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from heat, and stir in the sour cream until evenly combined. Stir in half the cheese, just until completely melted and the mixture's smooth.
- Lightly spray a 9x13 baking dish with non stick cooking spray. Pour the chicken mixture into the prepared dish. Add the chicken mixture evenly out over top and use a spatula to stir it all together and spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly out overtop. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or until the cheese has begun to turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and let the casserole rest for 2 minutes before serving.