Need to quench your thirst, and only a particularly sweet brew will do the trick? This copy cat Sonic ocean water is just the thing. It’s sweet, but not overly so, and fizzy with notes of lemon lime & coconut in a pretty blue hue.
Despite its name, it tastes nothing like the ocean. Which is probably a good thing. But it is blue, with a tangy flavor and a hint of coconut.
And let me just say, that Sonic hit the nail on the head with this one.
It’s arguably one of the best drinks they offer, and it’s pretty unique to them as well. At least I haven’t seen anything like it anywhere else. It’s just so refreshing.
One sip and you won’t be able to stop the ‘ahhhhhh’ from happening after downing that first taste. You might even find yourself staring at your glass wondering how so much flavor got into one little cup.
It’s a perfect little summer cocktail for kids and adults to enjoy.
I know with the heat wave hitting us this weekend with over 100 temps (where ya at spring?!) an ice cold cup of Ocean Water sounds absolutely perfect.
It’s easier than you’d think to whip together too! That beautiful blue hue? That’s all from a couple judicious drops of blue food coloring.
The flavor? Well that is from three key ingredients: a simple syrup made from the combination of water & white sugar, lemon lime soda, and a few drops of coconut extract.
The delicious result is a pretty blue drink that quite literally tastes like ‘ocean water’. Not the salty kind straight from the sea, but the shirley temple version straight from the nearest restaurant situated on the pier.
It’s cool water with a taste of Island breeze in a glass, and it’s amazing.
If you’ve tried this COPY CAT SONIC OCEAN WATER, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Copy Cat Sonic Ocean Water
- 4 tbsp of regular white sugar
- 4 tbsp of water
- 24 oz of lemon-lime soda 2 – 12 oz cans works great!
- 1 1/2 tsp of coconut extract
- 3 drops of blue food coloring
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix the sugar and water and heat for 30 seconds in the microwave. This should dissolve most of the sugar.
- Alternatively, heat the water and sugar over medium low heat, stirring until most of the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the sugar mixture to the lemon-lime soda, coconut extract and food coloring to a pitcher and mix gently. Allow the mixture to cool slightly if warm or hot.
- Serve over ice and enjoy!