Instant Pot southern style sweet tea makes the classic refreshing beverage right in your pressure cooker. This easy iced tea recipe results in a perfect thirst quenching pitcher of tea each and every time you make it.
If I had to name one thing I always keep in my fridge, it’s an ice cold pitcher of sweet tea.
This doubly goes for the warmer months of the year when I find myself making several batches of sweet tea per week.
There’s really nothing better than sitting outside on a muggy evening watching the fireflies come out and sipping an ice cold glass of tea.
This is especially true if I started the day with sitting out and sipping a mimosa. Perfection.
How to Make Instant Pot Southern Style Sweet Tea
Making southern style sweet tea is a snap in the Instant Pot.
Not only is it easy as could be to make in the pressure cooker, but making iced tea in the Instant Pot will yield consistent results each time you make it.
Plus, you’ll never have to worry about the tea having a bitter flavor the way you do on the stovetop.
To make Southern sweet tea in the Instant Pot, start by carefully removing the strings on the tea bags. Be careful not to rip the tea bags while you’re removing the strings.
Then fill your Instant Pot liner with water until it reaches the max fill line. The amount of water you use will vary by Pot size, but never fill it above the max fill line.
I used my 8 quart pot to make it, which (filled to the max fill line) is roughly 20 cups of water. If using a smaller pot, simply fill it to the max fill line and you can dilute the tea as needed after it’s made.
Once you have the water in the liner, add the tea bags and stir. Then close the lid and set the vent to sealing. Pressure cook for 4 minutes. When the Pot beeps, let it do a natural release for 15-20 minutes.
During this time, the tea will steep. After the time is up, turn the valve to release any remaining pressure.
Then remove the lid and take the tea bags out of the Pot using a slotted spoon. Now, whisk in sugar while the tea is hot. Stir it until the sugar dissolves.
At this stir in two cups of ice and let it melt. Then leave the lid off and let it cool.
When it’s cool, ladle the sweet tea into iced filled glasses and serve immediately. If you aren’t serving right away transfer to a pitcher and store in the fridge.
How Long Is Brewed Ice Tea Good For When Stored In The Refrigerator?
You can safely store this sweet tea in the fridge for 3 days. However, if your family is anything like mine, it won’t last 3 days!
For best results, make sure you store the tea in an air tight pitcher so it doesn’t pick up flavors from other food in the fridge.
Tips and Tricks to Make the Best Instant Pot Southern Style Sweet Tea
This recipe is very easy, but these suggestions will help you make the most delicious iced tea you can imagine- right in your Instant Pot.
- Never fill the Pot up past the max fill line when making iced tea (or anything else for that matter). I made this tea in an 8 quart Instant Pot, but if you have a smaller model simply decrease the amount of water you add.
- It will take the Instant Pot awhile to come to pressure because it’s so full. Don’t worry. This is fine as long as your Pot is sealed properly and not leaking steam.
- Feel free to adjust the sweetness as you see fit. We enjoy this recipe as written, but some people like tea really sweet. If that’s you, taste the tea after you add the sugar and add more until you are happy with the sweetness.
- Some people like to add lemon right into their pitcher of iced tea. I like to serve it as a garnish on the side and add a squeeze right before I drink it.
- Not a fan of lemon in tea but want to jazz it up? Add some fresh mint or even a shot of bourbon for a refreshing adult cocktail.
Other Refreshing Homemade Drinks
This Instant Pot southern style sweet tea is our favorite iced tea recipe. Make it the next time you feel like sipping a sweet glass of tea on your porch and enjoy!
Looking for other refreshing drink recipes? Try these:
Need something a little more adult, but just as refreshing? Give these Boozy Arnold Palmers a try!
If you’ve tried this INSTANT POT SOUTHERN STYLE SWEET TEA, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Instant Pot Southern Style Sweet Tea
- 8 regular sized tea bags I use Lipton brand
- 3 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups ice plus more for serving
- Gently pull the string on one of the tea bags to remove it from the bag, careful not to open or rip the bag in the process. Discard the string, and repeat for remaining tea bags
- Fill the instant pot liner up to the max fill line (roughly 20 cups) with water.
- Add the tea bags to the water and give it a stir.
- Close the lid, and set the vent to the sealed position. Pressure cook for 4 minutes, and then let the tea sit and steep for 15-20 minutes while the pot does a natural pressure release.
- Carefully open the valve to release any remaining steam/pressure. Open the lid, use a slotted spoon to remove the tea bags, and then whisk in the three cups of sugar until dissolved.
- Leave the lid off and let the tea cool. While still warm, stir in the two cups of ice and allow it to melt.
- Ladle the cooled tea into ice filled glasses and serve immediately.