No churn cake batter ice cream combines the fun flavor of birthday cake mix with the cool creaminess of everyone’s favorite summer treat. Skip the ice cream shop and make your own rich, delicious treat right at home!
This post and recipe was created for #SummerDessertWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
Summer means ice cream. There’s just no way around that.
I love taking my boys out for ice cream when the weather is hot. But my wallet hates it.
And there’s nothing like homemade ice cream on a hot day.
It beats anything from the grocery store.
So instead of stressing my wallet with frequent visits to the local creamery, I make my own homemade no churn ice cream in tons of different flavors.
This cake batter ice cream is hands down one of our favorites and possibly the most fun variation I’ve made yet!
Best of all, it doesn’t require anything special to make it and it tastes as good as any you’d get from your favorite dessert spot!
To make this you’ll need:
- Heavy cream– Make sure it’s very cold when you go to make this recipe and don’t substitute it for a lower fat cream.
- Sweetened condensed milk– Store bought or make your own.
- Cake mix– My favorite cake mix to use for this is Funfetti mix with its extra fun sprinkles, but feel free to substitute yellow cake or vanilla.
- Yellow food coloring– To give the ice cream a more vibrant, appealing coloring.
- Butter– Use salted butter that you melt and let cool but not harden.
- Sprinkles– The most fun of all the ingredients, I highly recommend rainbow sprinkles!
How to Make
Making this is so easy and you’ll be rewarded with a delicious, creamy sweet treat!
To do it, whip the cold heavy cream with a hand mixer in a medium sized mixing bowl until stiff peaks have former.
After the cream has formed stiff peaks, fold the remaining ingredients into the fluffy cream with a spatula. Keep gently folding just until everything’s evenly incorporated.
Once everything is incorporated, pour the mixture into a chilled 9×5″ metal baking pan. I recommend using one by Circulon. The quality’s great, and the metal freezes evenly meaning a perfect creamy consistency for your ice cream!
Use the spatula to smooth it out evenly. Freeze the ice cream for 6-8 hours, or up to overnight.
Scoop into bowls or cones, and enjoy as is or with your favorite toppings!
Make sure you wrap the ice cream tightly in plastic wrap or transfer it into an airtight freezer safe container after it has frozen.
This basic no churn cake batter ice cream is amazing as is, but you could use this recipe as a jumping off point for a few other fun, tasty ice cream recipes.
Here are a few ideas for you:
- To make it a birthday cake version add dollops of canned whipped cream or frozen whipped topping all over the top of the ice cream and add extra sprinkles for garnish. After it’s frozen, top the frozen dollops of whipped cream with maraschino cherries before serving.
- Up the texture by adding, broken pieces of waffle cones to the ice cream.
- For another variation on the birthday cake flavor, replace the dollops of whipped cream with dollops of frosting.
Tips and Trick
- Be careful not to overmix the cream or you’ll end up with a ball of butter.
- I highly recommend chilling all the ingredients you can prior to making this. I also recommend using a metal mixing bowl you’ve placed in the freezer for several minutes over a plastic or glass bowl.
- Have fun with the sprinkles! There are all sorts of specialty varieties of sprinkles shaped like everything from hearts to pumpkins. Switch up the sprinkles to match your occasion.
Stay tuned & keep scrolling past the recipe card to check out this year’s awesome #SummerDessertWeek giveaway. Don’t forget to enter the GIVEAWAY for your chance to win, and also to discover all the other yummy desserts on today’s Summer-themed menu.
Other No Churn Ice Cream Recipes You’ll Love
This no churn cake batter ice cream is one of our favorite ways to cool down during the summer. Make some today and enjoy!
Looking for other no churn ice cream recipes? Try these:
- Tim Tam Slam Ice Cream
- Cherry Garcia Ice Cream
- Orange Dreamsicle Ice Cream
- Fruity Pebble Ice Cream
- Lemonade Ice Cream
- Blueberry Muffin Ice Cream
If you’ve tried this NO CHURN CAKE BATTER ICE CREAM or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
No Churn Cake Batter Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp funfetti cake mix
- 4 drops yellow food coloring
- 2 1/2 tbsp salted butter melted & cooled
- 1 1/2 tbsp rainbow sprinkles/jimmies
- Add the cream to a medium sized mixing bowl, and using a hand mixer whip until stiff peaks have former. Be careful not to over mix, or you'll end up with a ball of butter.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the mixing bowl, and fold in with a spatula until everything's evenly incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a chilled 9x5" metal baking pan. Use the spatula to smooth it out evenly.
- Freeze the ice cream for 6-8 hours, or up to overnight.
- Scoop into bowls or cones, and enjoy!
Welcome to this year’s #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. You’re going to be in for a treat this year because we have 28 blogs/bloggers creating summer themed dessert recipes all week! We’re sharing them with the hashtag #SummerDessertWeek on social media and you’ll find some of the links in this post as well. Plus, we also have some great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away 1 (one) 4.2 Quart (4 Liter) Electric Air Fryer
Prize #2 — Circulon is giving away a TOTAL BAKEWARE 6-Piece Nonstick Bakeware Set – Two 9-Inch Round Cake Pans, 9-Inch Square Cake Pan, 9-Inch x 5-Inch Loaf Pan, 9-Inch x 13-Inch Rectangular Cake Pan, 10-Inch x 15-Inch Cookie Pan
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older.. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 26th until July 31st at 11:59PMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterwards and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 2 (two) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 2 (two) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals and Circulon. These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Peanut Butter Cheesecake Pie from Big Bear’s Wife
Limeade Honey Fruit Salad from Semi Homemade Recipes
No Churn Cake Batter Ice Cream from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
Twix Cookies from Devour Dinner
Strawberry Crunch Cheesecake Cones from SugarYums
Blueberry Cobbler from Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
Strawberry Shortcake Bread Pudding from Sweet ReciPEAs
Roasted Blueberry Pull-apart Loaf from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Lemon Lime Filled Cupcakes from Cookaholic Wife