Smoked cheesecake is a fun spin on the traditional dessert. Mild smoky flavors elevate the classic dish with an extra note of flavor that’s perfect for summer!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
“This post and recipe was created for #SummerDessertWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.”
But I really haven’t done a smoked dessert. Until now.
And as soon as I tasted this creamy, sweetly smoky cheesecake, I wondered: WHAT TOOK ME SO LONG?!
This cheesecake is everything you could want.
It’s rich, delicious and has a little something extra that really takes it to the next level!
You need a few basic ingredients for this dessert. Let’s break it down by crust and filling.
For the crust, you’ll need:
- Graham cracker crumbs– You can either crush your own or buy the premade ones, which is what I do.
- Sugar– Go for brown sugar here for the extra flavor and chewiness.
- Butter– Use melted butter.
For the filling you’ll need:
- Cream cheese– Let it soften on your counter prior to using.
- Sugar– Again, you want to use brown sugar here, which is a little different than in a standard cheesecake recipe.
- Lemon juice– A little lemon juice balances all the sweetness.
- Mango magic seasoning– This is totally optional but I highly recommend it for the extra flavor.
- Vanilla extract– Use real vanilla and not imitation.
- Eggs– Let them sit on your counter to come to room temperature prior to making this.
How to Make
Let’s break making this down into three parts:
- Making the crust
- Preparing the filling
- Smoking the cheesecake
For the Crust
Start by adding the ingredients in the crust to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the whipping attachment.
Process them just until evenly combined and the mixture’s crumby. Then, pour the mixture into a clean 9 or 10″ springform pan.
Spread the mixture out, pressing down and out from the center, to form a firm even layer over the bottom of the pan that goes roughly half way up the sides of the springform pan.
Bake the crust in an oven at 400° for 6-8 minutes, just until lightly golden brown. Then, remove the crust from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
Preparing the filling
Add all the filling ingredients EXCEPT the eggs to a large mixing bowl.
Whip the ingredients together with a hand mixer until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Then, add the eggs in, one at a time, and whipping to completely incorporate after adding each one.
Pour the cheesecake filling into the cooled crust, using a spatula to scrape it out so that none gets left behind.
Run the spatula over top of the filling to smooth it out evenly. Then, tap the dish on the counter a couple times to release any trapped air bubbles.
Smoking the cheesecake
Now it’s time to smoke your cheesecake!
Once the smoker is ready, carefully place the cheesecake in the smoker. Then seal the smoker, and let it smoke for at least 1 1/2- 2 hours, or until the center is set.
Using a heavy duty pot holder, gently shake the dish after 1 1/2-2 hours. If the filling jiggles without rippling, it’s set.
Remove the smoked cheesecake and set it aside to cool to room temperature.
Once the cheesecake cools, refrigerate it until you’re ready to serve. Then remove the cheesecake from the fridge and let it rest on a counter until it’s close to room temperature.
Run a butter knife slowly around the edges to release it from the pan and carefully remove the outer ring from the springform pan by lifting it up and away. Set it aside.
Serve as is, or with a drizzle of caramel syrup poured overtop. Enjoy!
What kind of wood should I use to smoke a cheesecake?
This is not a dish you want to HEAVILY infuse with actual smoke flavor!
Because of this, I suggest a very mild wood like maple wood.
Store this cheesecake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Tips and Tricks
- Add the wood chips (per machine’s instructions) at the beginning and that’s it. No need to refill. Again, you want a light, smoky flavor NOT a heavy infusion.
- If your smoker has a water tray, you can fill that prior to smoking. The steam will help prevent cracks, BUT it isn’t totally necessary either.
- For the cleanest cuts, use a hot knife that’s wiped clean in between each slice.
Stay tuned & keep scrolling past the recipe card to check out this year’s awesome #SummerDessertWeek giveaway. Don’t forget to enter the GIVEAWAY for your chance to win, and also to discover all the other yummy desserts on today’s Summer-themed menu.
Other Cheesecake Recipes You’ll Love
This smoked cheesecake is a fun, new way to take cheesecake to the next level. Make it this weekend and enjoy! Looking for other cheesecake recipes?
- New York Style Cheesecake
- Savory Cheesecake
- Instant Pot Monster Cheesecake
- Cherry Cheesecake Popsicles
- Hot Chocolate Cheesecake
If you’ve tried this SMOKED CHEESECAKE or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
For The Crust
- 12 oz graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 8 tbsp butter melted
For The Filling
- 32 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 packed cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch mango magic seasoning optional
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
Making The Crust
- To the bowl of a food processor fitted with the whipping attachment, add the crust ingredients.
- Process them just until evenly combined and the mixture's crumby.
- Pour the mixture into a clean 9 or 10" springform pan.
- Spread the mixture out, pressing down and out, to form a firm even layer over the bottom of the pan that goes roughly half way up the sides.
- Bake the crust in an oven at 400° for 6-8 minutes, just until lightly golden brown. Remove the crust from the oven, and allow it to cool completely.
Making The Filling
- To a large mixing bowl, add the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the eggs. Using a hand mixer, whip the ingredients together until the mixture's smooth & creamy.
- Add the eggs in, one at a time, and whipping to completely incorporate in between each cracked egg addition.
- Pour the cheesecake filling into the cooled crust/pan, using a spatula to scrape it out so that none's left behind. Run the spatula over top of the filling to smooth it out evenly. Tap the dish on the counter a couple times to release any trapped air bubbles.
Smoking The Cheesecake
- Preheat your smoker to 300° and add wood chips according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Carefully place the cheesecake in the smoker, shut/seal the smoker, and let it smoke for at least 1 1/2- 2 hours, or until the center is set. Gently shake the dish (use a potholder) if the filling jiggles without rippling, it's set.
- Remove the smoked cheesecake and set it aside to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, transfer it to the refrigerator, and allow it to chill until you're ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, removed the cheesecake from the fridge and let it rest on a counter until it's close to room temperature. Run a butter knife slowly around the edges to 'release' it from the pan.
- Pop the spring and carefully remove the outer ring from the springform pan by lifting it up and away. Set it aside.
- For the cleanest cuts, use a hot knife that's wiped clean in between each slice.
- Serve as is, or with a drizzle of caramel syrup poured overtop.
Welcome to this year’s #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. You’re going to be in for a treat this year because we have 28 blogs/bloggers creating summer themed dessert recipes all week! We’re sharing them with the hashtag #SummerDessertWeek on social media and you’ll find some of the links in this post as well. Plus, we also have some great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away 1 (one) 4.2 Quart (4 Liter) Electric Air Fryer
Prize #2 — Circulon is giving away a TOTAL BAKEWARE 6-Piece Nonstick Bakeware Set – Two 9-Inch Round Cake Pans, 9-Inch Square Cake Pan, 9-Inch x 5-Inch Loaf Pan, 9-Inch x 13-Inch Rectangular Cake Pan, 10-Inch x 15-Inch Cookie Pan
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older.. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 26th until July 31st at 11:59PMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterwards and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 2 (two) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 2 (two) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals and Circulon. These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Homemade Mickey Bars from Big Bear’s Wife
Pina Colada Poke Cake from Semi Homemade Recipes
Whopper Cookies from Eat Move Make
Seashell Macarons from Simply Inspired Meals
S’mores Bars from It’s Shanaka
Birthday Cake Fudge from Fake Ginger
Soft Baked Lemon Poppyseed Cookies from Blogghetti
Smoked Cheesecake from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
Berry Mousse from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Layered Ice Cream Pie from For the Love of Food
No Churn Lemon Shortbread Ice Cream from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Mini Biscuit Peach Pies from Our Good Life
White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies from Family Around the Table
Blueberry Lemon Yogurt Loaf from Sweet Beginnings
S’mores Donuts from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Bourbon Caramel Sauce from Savory Experiments
Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler from Devour Dinner
Lemon Filling (No eggs) from Shockingly Delicious
Gluten-Free Blueberry Crisp for Two from Books n’ Cooks
Kinder Bueno Cheesecake from SugarYums
Blueberry Turnovers from Cheese Curd In Paradise
Instant Pot Strawberry Crunch Cheesecake from Baking up Memories
Raspberry Shortbread Sandwich Cookies from Pastry Chef Online
Mint Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream Fudge from Sweet ReciPEAs
Custard Cream Sandwich Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details. As always, all opinions are my own.