Have you ever just wanted to have your cake and eat it too? Like, maybe for breakfast? You can do just that with these sweet milk & cereal breakfast pops. They’re a fun new grab and go breakfast made with Greek yogurt, flavored milk, cereal, and banana. Now when they ask for ice cream for breakfast- you can say yes!
I tend to be a rebellious, fat kid at heart so I jump at the chance to go against the grain and swap out boring, old avocado toast or overnight oats for a sweet morning treat.
Like the last week of school last year when I made pudding pops and served them to my kids for breakfast one morning.
Hey, they were sugar free and were mostly milk. That’s healthy, right?
My kids sure thought the day was off to a deliciously awesome start.
Obviously we can’t eat like that every morning though so our milk & cereal breakfast popsicles are made of sturdier stuff that’s much better for developing minds.
You only need a few ingredients to make a batch of milk and cereal breakfast pops.
To make the you’ll need:
- Banana – You’ll need one, large ripe banana for this recipe. It’s perfect for using up bananas that you wouldn’t want to eat themselves since they might be a bit too mushy, but otherwise completely fine.
- Yogurt – Specifically Greek yogurt is needed for this recipe. It’s healthier and firmer with less sugar than it’s American counterpart. It freezes better, but still gives a delicious creamy texture to these popsicles without adding any unnecessary extra sugar to the mix.
- Milk – These breakfast popsicles need strawberry milk. You can use any brand.
- Cereal – A 1/2 cup of dry fruity pebbles cereal if needed, and you can use any brand you would regularly enjoy.
How To Make
Making these yogurt breakfast popsicles is both quick and easy.
Seriously, very little effort required.
Start by adding the peeled banana to the bowl of a stand mixer.
Mix it until smooth and creamy.
You could also use a large mixing bowl and a hand mixer, if that’s easier.
Add both the Greek yogurt and flavored milk to the mixing bowl.
Mix together until everything’s evenly incorporated and the mixture’s smooth.
Remove the mixing bowl from the stand.
Add the dry cereal to the bowl.
Using a spatula, fold the cereal into the creamy yogurt until evenly combined.
Do not use the mixer, or even a hand mixer, for this step since it will crush up the cereal.
Transfer the mixture to popsicle molds, filling each to their designated fill line.
Add the popsicle sticks and the lids to the molds- in whichever order your set up requires.
Freeze these milk and cereal breakfast pops for 8 hours, or at least until frozen solid.
When ready to enjoy them, remove the breakfast popsicles from the freezer.
Run warm water over the base of the molds for a few seconds, just long enough to release the popsicles.
Once released from their molds, you can store these milk and cereal breakfast pops in a ziplocking freezer bag.
They’ll keep in the freezer up to 3 months.
What Cereal Can I Use In Yogurt Breakfast Popsicles?
If Fruity Pebbles aren’t your thing, you can very easily switch the cereal out for one of your favs.
We love using:
- Honey nut cheerios
- Captain crunch
- Lucky Charms
If you can picture it tasting good with strawberry milk, it will be delicious in these breakfast yogurt popsicles.
Can I Use Chocolate Milk?
You can absolutely swap the strawberry milk for chocolate if that’s more to your liking.
There are so many possibilities with this!
I personally like peanut butter Captain Crunch- it’s super good. I also have the taste buds of a ten year old.
Other chocolate friendly options include:
- Chocolate pebbles
- Reese’s puffs
- Cookie Crisp
- Cinnamon toast crunch
The possibilities are pretty much endless, and totally up to your taste buds.
Get creative and make these breakfast popsicles your own!
Other Fun Breakfast Ideas For Kids
Milk and cereal breakfast pops are the perfect sweet treat to start your day, or make any morning seem just a little more special.
Without any added sugar so you can feel (mostly) good about offering them as a viable morning meal, and you can totally enjoy that Mom of the year award.
Mostly guilt free!
Looking for other easy breakfast ideas the kids will love?
- Breakfast Mac & Cheese
- Sheet Pan Breakfast Pizza
- Breakfast Spaghetti
- Apple Cheesecake Breakfast Quesadillas
- Bacon Egg & Cheese Breakfast Totchos
If you’ve tried these MILK & CEREAL BREAKFAST POPS, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Milk & Cereal Breakfast Pops
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup strawberry milk
- 1/2 cup dry cereal we used Fruity Pebbles
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix/mash the banana until smooth.
- Add the yogurt and milk, mixing until the ingredients are evenly incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Use a spatula to gently stir in the cereal, just until evenly dispersed. Using the mixer may crush the cereal.
- Transfer the mixture into popsicle molds, and freeze for 8 hours, or until frozen solid.
- Run warm water over the molds for a few seconds to release the frozen pops.
recipe originally published February 11, 2016
Leave a Comment