Hot onion dip is a cheesy, creamy appetizer you can throw together fast. This easy dip recipe uses only a few ingredients but is big on flavor. It’s perfect for serving with chips, sliced baguettes or crackers this holiday season or whenever you next entertain.
I am all about easy entertaining come holiday time.
Who wants to be stuck in the kitchen for hours putting together something complicated when guests are coming?
Definitely not me!
And double that during the holiday season when there is just so much to do.
Even though I’d rather not be stuck in the kitchen for hours before any gathering, I don’t want to sacrifice flavor.
Instead I want to blow my guests away with delicious food that they’d never guess is so easy to put together.
And that is exactly what this hot onion dip is.
It’s a 4 ingredient concoction that is almost effortless to whip up and will wow your guests with its creamy, cheesy goodness.
They’ll never know you didn’t slave away in the kitchen for hours making it.
You only need 4 ingredients for this this homemade onion dip:
- cream cheese
- yellow onions
- shredded Parmesan cheese
That’s it! Nothing fancy required.
How to Make
Making this homemade dip recipe is so easy it’s almost effortless.
To do it, add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir them together until they are evenly combined.
When everything is all mixed together, scrape the mixture into into an 8×8 baking dish that’s been sprayed with nonstick spray.
Use a spatula to spread the dip out evenly.
Once the dip is evenly spread, bake it in a 400 degree oven or until the dip is melted with a golden brown top that bubbles at the edges.
When this happens, remove the dip from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes prior to serving.
Serve hot with your favorite dippers and enjoy!
The Best Things To Serve With This Dip
Dips are one of our favorite snacks and appetizers, and they make for easy serving at gatherings.
That said, a great dip is only as good as the options you have to dunk in it. That’s what really showcases it, and makes it shine.
Our favorite dippers to serve with this hot onion dip recipe are:
- pita chips
- thin slices of crusty baguette bread
- sturdy, buttery crackers- like Ritz of Club varieties
- pretzels or pretzel chips
- bagel chips
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, just pop the container in the microwave and heat until warm. Cold leftover onion dip is also delicious.
Tips and Tricks
- Before mixing the ingredients together, let the cream cheese sit out on the counter so it softens. It will make it easier to mix.
- Don’t substitute Miracle Whip for mayo in this for the best flavor.
- If you want to add even more flavor to this delicious dip, add a crushed garlic clove or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
Other Dip Recipes You Might Enjoy
This hot onion dip is an easy crowd pleaser.
Make it for your next get together and discover why it’s one of my staple appetizers.
Looking for other cheese- based dip recipes? Try these:
If you’ve tried this HOT ONION DIP, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Hot Onion Dip
- 3 8 oz pkgs cream cheese
- 2 cups yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients and stir them together until evenly combined.
- Lightly grease an 8x8" baking dish with non stick cooking spray. Using a spatula scrape all of the dip mixture into the prepared dish, and smooth out evenly.
- Bake the onion dip at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, or until the dip's melted & creamy with a golden brown top that's bubbling at the edges.
- Remove the dip from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve the still hot dip with chips, crackers, or sliced baguettes.