Think homemade bread is too hard? Think again. These Crusty, Fool-Proof Baguettes are ready in 30 minutes flat and yield two hearty loaves that are deliciously soft on the inside, but with a crackling outer crust.
Quick & crusty baguettes in 30 minutes flat.
Say that five times fast.
How many of you thought you’d ever be able to say that at all, let alone believe it?
This recipe is like the best (not anymore!) kept secret on the planet.
It’s so easy, it’s been called fool proof.
It’s perfect for beginner bakers and as an easy introduction to from-scratch bread making. Plus, it only uses five (yes, 5) everyday ingredients you probably already have in stock.
Soft and flaky on the inside, crisp and crusty on the outside.
They’re perfect for tearing into and chewing alongside your favorite pasta, your favorite cheese, your favorite soup, or for something as simple as slapping on a slab of your favorite butter.
These baguettes are perfect, especially when you stop and take in their simplicity.
And they can be made last minute.
Goodbye pre-planning and hours of rise time.
I won’t miss tip-toeing around the house or trying to time nap time so heavy foot steps and little running feet wouldn’t make my dough fall, that’s for sure!
This recipe makes two loaves, and we love to enjoy one fresh out of the oven with our favorite spices in a little olive oil for a quick and easy appetizer to tide us over while our main meal cooks.
Crusty, Fool Proof Baguettes In Under 30 Minutes Flat
- 2 cups very warm water
- 1 packet yeast or 2 1/4 tsp dry active yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3-4 cups of flour
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together the warm water, yeast, and sugar. Set the bowl on top of your preheating oven for ten minutes. Stir in the salt and add the flour a half-cup at a time, until the dough becomes soft, but not sticky. Knead the dough until elastic.
- Cut the dough into four even pieces. Roll each of them into four long, thin ropes. Twist together two of the ropes to form one loaf. Twist the other two ropes together to form a second loaf. Transfer both onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- You can now bake the loaf right away (if you’re in a hurry), or allow it to rise for an additional 15-30 minutes on top of your warm oven.
- Fill a large bowl with 3-4 cups of ice. Open your hot oven and place the baking sheet with the baguettes inside, then toss the ice cubes on the bottom of the oven and quickly shut the door. Do NOT open your oven for 15 minutes (the steam for the ice is what creates the crunchy outer crust). Bake until golden brown, about 15-18 minutes.
- Serve warm with butter or with a dipping sauce of your favorite seasoned olive oil.