Homemade hamburger buns are key when it comes to making a good burger great. They should be soft and tender yet sturdy enough to hold up to the meaty patty and all the toppings. This easy hamburger bun recipe comes together with just a few ingredients in under 40 minutes. You’ll never want to buy them from the store again!
We are very serious about our burgers in this house.
I do mean very serious.
We eat burgers probably at least once a week all year long and more during summer grilling season.
And while I can say store bought buns are fine in a pinch, making homemade hamburger buns really steps up our burger game.
These rolls support the meaty patties and all the cheese and fixins my hungry boys like to pile on.
They are last minute friendly so even a habitual procrastinator like me can get them into the oven and have dinner on the table in under an hour.
To make these you’ll need:
- active dry yeast
- warm water (110° to 115°)*
- vegetable oil
- all purpose flour
How to make
Here’s what you need to do to make these amazing buns at home.
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
It helps to use a whisk or fork to gently combine them.
Once dissolved, add oil and sugar and let the mixture stand for 5 minutes.
Next, add the egg, salt, and enough of the flour to form a soft dough.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
This will take about 3 to 5 minutes.
You do not need to let it rise!
Immediately divide into 12 equal pieces and shape each piece into a ball.
Place the balls 3 inches apart on a greased baking sheet or sheets.
For a browned and glossy outside, brush the tops of each with an egg wash.
Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
Bake at 425° for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Allow them to cool for a few minutes on the pan and then remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Serve with your favorite hamburgers.
You need to store the buns in an airtight container at room temperature.
They will last for about 3 to 5 days.
You can also place in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 6 months.
You could freeze the dough for about 6 months if you prefer.
To do this, tightly wrap it in plastic wrap and then thaw in the fridge.
Bring it up to room temperature before dividing it and baking the buns.
Tips and Tricks
- Don’t let the buns rise, they don’t need to
- Make sure you use water that is warm enough to activate the yeast but not so hot that it kills it. It should feel lukewarm to the touch.
- Don’t overbake the buns.
- If storing, make sure you use an airtight container.
Other Recipes to Serve on these Homemade Hamburger Buns
Hamburgers aren’t the only thing that will taste amazing on this no rise rolls. Make them today and stuff them full of burgers or sloppy joe filling and step up your sandwich game!
Looking for recipes to serve on these homemade hamburger buns?
- Copy Cat Chick-Fil-A Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Hot Chicken Caesar Sandwiches
- The Ultimate Tailgate Burgers
- Slow Cooker Barbecue Brisket Sandwiches
If you’ve tried these HOMEMADE HAMBURGER BUNS, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Homemade Hamburger Buns
- 2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp warm water 110° to 115°*
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 3-3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the egg, salt and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide into 12 equal pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. If you want a more browned and glossy outside, brush the tops of each with an egg wash.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
If you’ve tried these HOMEMADE HAMBURGER BUNS, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!