Potatoes are an essential part of all of our best family brunches. With these twice baked breakfast potatoes, we’ve stuffed the whole cheesy sausage & egg meal into roasted spuds for a hearty meat & potatoes AM combination that looks as good as it tastes!
I’m sure when you think of breakfast, or brunch for that matter, there are certain foods that obviously spring to mind.
And while we usually serve them all together on the same plate, they inevitably all get mashed around together, and no bite is really complete without a forkful of all three.
So as the innovative chef I am (heck, who am I kidding?), I mean the Mom who is sick of doing dishes by the weekend and would like to dirty up as few more as possible, I decided to skip the multiple skillets and just pot everything up together.
And these twice baked breakfast potatoes were as perfect and breakfast/brunch friendly as I imagined they’d be.
If you’re really on the ball, you can even make it up ahead of time, like the night before, and just pop it in the oven in the morning.
A play on the classic twice baked potatoes, our breakfast version features a hearty potato ‘bowl’ with perfectly crisped skin.
These twice baked breakfast potatoes filled with whipped scrambled eggs and our favorite brand of cooked, crumbled sausage, and finally is topped off with a crisp cheddar crust.
With a complete breakfast in every bite and gourmet flavor baked right in, it’s everything this Mama was looking for and then some.
Other Ways To Enjoy Twice Baked Potatoes:
- Broccoli & Cheddar Twice Baked Potatoes
- Twice Baked Crab Stuffed Potatoes
- Taco Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes
If you’ve tried these SAUSAGE & EGG STUFFED, TWICE BAKED BREAKFAST POTATOES, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Sausage & Egg Stuffed, Twice Baked Breakfast Potatoes
- 2 medium-large baking potatoes baked and cooled
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz mild Italian sausages casings removed
- 3-4 eggs at room temperature
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1-2 tbsp whole milk
- finely diced parsley for garnish (optional)
- Cut a bit off the top of the potatoes to create and opening so that they can be hollowed out with a spoon. Gently scoop the flesh out, being careful not to scoop it too thin (you don't want to create any holes). If the potatoes are cold by now, put them back in the oven to warm up while it is preheating.
- Heat 1/2 of the olive oil in a medium-large skillet, over high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, using a spoon or a sturdy spatula to break it up into pieces as it cooks.
- Using the other half of the olive oil, brush the outsides/skins of the potatoes with it.
- Divide the sausage evenly out between the potatoes and fill them with it.
- In a large bowl, vigorously whisk together the eggs and the milk to thoroughly whip them together. You want them frothy. Evenly pour the scrambled egg into the potatoes, leaving a tiny bit of space at the top so that there's room for the egg to expand as it cooks without running all over. Sprinkle the cheese over the top of each prepared potato, then place them in the oven to bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. When a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and the cheese on top is golden brown, they're done.
- Remove from the oven and let the potatoes rest for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley just before serving.
Like this recipe? Check out these other great ideas for potatoes: