The sons love spaghetti and meatballs. Mention lasagna. Our mouths are watering. Soup’s simmering on the stove? There’s more than a 50/50 chance it contains some sort of pasta.
We eat A LOT of pasta. A. Lot. We love pasta, but I feel like 9 times out of 10, no let’s be realistic, like 8 times out of 10 the pasta is just a caveat for other yummy things. Like meatballs. And cheese. And sauce. And who needs all that extra pasta when it’s the goodies that ‘dress’ it that you really want. So let’s forgo the pasta tonight and just stuff all that yum in a bun. Mmmkay?
Any great meatball sub needs two things: great meatballs and a great sauce. For this here ‘recipe’. Heck, who’re we kidding? It’s basically just one big suggestion of some things to nuke and then stuff together into a bun for a fun flavor fiesta in your mouth around dinner time. Suggestions are good, right?
Back to the great sauce. You’re more than welcome to make a from scratch Alfredo sauce. But this recipe idea or delicious suggestion, is a favorite around here because it’s so darn easy. I can’t beat a quick throw together sandwich, that I don’t feel guilty about serving for dinner on busy nights. I mean as opposed to bologna and cheese or a pb & j on the go these things are gourmet! Since I’m going for quick and easy, I just use a jar of our favorite store bought Alfredo sauce. I can’t be Martha Stewart every night of the week. We froof the sauce if with the addition of our favorite pesto and it’s a 5 star combo. Again, I use frozen store bought meatballs, or homemade, it just depends what I’ve got on hand and what kind of time frame I’m working with.
Serve these with a simple tossed salad and you’ve got great taste in simple meal form.
If you’ve tried these PESTO ALFREDO MEATBALL SUBS, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
- 16 frozen meatballs
- 14 oz Alfredo sauce any brand
- 2 tbsp basil pesto
- 4 slices of provolone cheese
- 4 sub rolls
- Cook the meatballs according to the package directions.Add the Alfredo sauce and pesto to a small pot or pan and stir together. Heat it over medium/low heat, or just until heated through.
- Spread some of the sauce on the insides of each roll, like you would mayonnaise or butter. Place 4 meatballs in a roll and drizzle them with more sauce. Fold and tear each slice of provolone roughly in half and place 2 halves on top of each sub to cover the meatballs.
- Place the prepared subs onto a baking sheet and cook them in the oven at 450 for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the roll is lightly toasted.