Fish stick po’ boys are an easy way to enjoy the bold Louisiana classic. These quick sandwiches are perfect for dinner anytime!
There are some staples I’ve found most parents keep on hand.
For me, those things include frozen chicken nuggets, some kind of frozen pizza and fish sticks.
My boys will gladly eat any one of those when I am just out of dinner ideas or don’t have time to do a ton of cooking.
But since this happens kind of regularly (don’t judge!), I like to try to keep it interesting especially when I’m serving chicken nuggets or fish sticks.
These po’ boys are the perfect keep it interesting, easy meal.
They are loaded with bold Louisiana flavor for the hubs and I and easy to keep kid friendly.
What are Po’ Boys?
Po’ boys are traditional sandwiches from Louisiana that are sometimes called “poor boys.”
No matter what you call it, they almost always have meat or fried seafood and are served on French bread.
They often are served with lettuce, tomato, a big slather of mayo and Louisiana style hot sauce for an extra kick.
My version uses fish sticks instead of frying shrimp, crawfish or catfish and is full of all the other classic fixins.
To make these you’ll need:
- Fish sticks– You’ll want to use a good quality frozen fish stick. I love and recommend using the Trident brand from Costco.
- Mayonnaise- Go for real mayo instead of light mayo or mayonnaise style dressing.
- Hot sauce– For that kick. Use your favorite kind.
- Lemon juice– Lemon juice adds an extra brightness and tang to your mayo mixture. Use fresh lemon juice for best results.
- Rolls– For ease, I use sub rolls. If you want to go for authenticity, you can sub French bread.
- Shredded lettuce– Romaine or iceberg work better than other varieties.
- Tomatoes– Thinly slice them.
How to Make
Making these is so easy!
To do it, cook the fish sticks according to the package directions.
While the fish sticks are cooking, whisk the mayo, hot sauce, and lemon juice in a small bowl. After it is easily combined, set it aside.
When the fish sticks are done cooking, remove them from the oven and let them cool slightly.
Spread the rolls out on a baking tray and lightly toast them in the oven.
When the rolls are to your liking, spread a thick layer of the spicy mayo mixture on the inside halves of each bun.
Top the bottom bun with 6 to 8 warm fish sticks, shredded lettuce, then tomato slices and add the top bun to complete the sandwich.
Repeat until all the sandwiches have been made.
Serve immediately, and enjoy!
What to Serve With
And don’t forget dipping sauce! We love having dipping options to serve alongside it. Our favorite is this homemade tartar sauce.
Of course, any of your favorite side dishes will absolutely work!
I don’t recommend storing leftovers of these sandwiches. Like other leftover sandwiches, they will get soggy if left in the fridge.
However, you can easily half this recipe so you are only making what you need and then you won’t have to worry about leftovers!
Tips and Tricks
- Using quality fish stick is a must. You want the meat, and you don’t want them to be dry or fall apart when eating this sandwich.
- Not a fan of tartar sauce for dipping? No worries try remoulade sauce instead.
- While I highly suggest the lettuce and tomatoes, if you don’t like one or the other feel free to omit them.
Other Ways to Dress up Fish Sticks
These fish stick po’ boys are the perfect dinner to keep in mind anytime you’re short on time. Add them to your meal plan this week and enjoy!
Looking for other ways to dress up fish sticks? Try these recipes:
If you’ve tried these FISH STICK PO’ BOYS or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Fish Stick Po' Boys
- 1 20 oz pkg quality frozen fish sticks roughly 28 fish sticks
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2-3 tsp hot sauce
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 sub rolls split in half lengthwise
- 2 cups shredded lettuce iceberg or romaine recommended
- 3 tomatoes thinly sliced
- Cook the fish sticks according to the package directions.
- While the fish sticks are cooking, add the mayo, hot sauce, and lemon juice to a small bowl. Whisk them together until evenly combined. Set aside.
- When the fish sticks are done cooking, remove them from the oven and let them cool slightly- so that they've very much still warm, but not hot.
- Spread the rolls out on a baking tray and lightly toast them in the oven.
- Spread a thick layer of the spicy mayo mixture on the inside halves of each bun.
- Top the bottom bun with 6-8 warm fish sticks.
- Top with shredded lettuce, then tomato slices, and add the top bun to complete the sandwich.
- Repeat until all the sandwiches have been made.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!