Frozen fish sticks get a makeover just in time for a taco night twist with these chili lime fish stick tacos! This yummy recipe easily dresses up an old frozen standby into a fresh tasting dinner your family will love.
With a family full of hungry boys in our house, our freezer is always stocked with frozen snacks and entrees they can heat up for themselves or I can turn into dinner.
At any point in time you can find chicken nuggets, meatballs and, of course, fish sticks in our freezer.
They keep the kids fed fast. And I have no shame about not only buying them, but keeping them stocked.
With little effort on my part, I can turn those freezer staples into a meal that I am proud to serve to my brood of boys that they love to eat.
With a handful of ingredients you probably already keep on hand for taco night, you can turn regular old fish sticks into delicious chili lime fish tacos.
You don’t need much outside of your basic taco supplies to make this easy recipe.
To make this you’ll need:
- fish sticks
- spices- fresh cilantro and dried chili powder and cumin
- limes- both lime juice and lime slices or wedges
- tortillas- we used the smaller ‘street taco’ size
- taco fixings- chopped avocado and tomato and shredded lettuce
How to Make
This is the easiest dinner ever! You’d be able to get in on the table on even the busiest day.
Start by making the chili lime seasoning for the tacos by whisking together the fresh lime juice with chili powder and cumin.
Then brush the fish sticks with the sauce and cook them according to the directions on the package.
When it’s time to turn the fish sticks, turn them and brush them again with the sauce.
Once the fish sticks have finished cooking, let them cool for 5 minutes.
Once they are cool, build the tacos by layering the lettuce on the tortilla shell, then the fish sticks and finishing with the avocado pieces, chopped tomatoes and cilantro.
Storing Leftover Fish Tacos
If you have any leftover fish tacos you can save them.
To store the leftovers, put the cooked fish sticks in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.
Save the avocado, tomato, and lettuce individually in small air tight containers in the fridge.
To make the avocado last longer toss it with some lime juice to prevent browning.
To reheat the fish sticks, reheat them in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes or until warmed through.
Tips and Tricks
- Serve this with your favorite salsa. I love this homemade smoked salsa.
- Not a fan of cilantro? Totally fine. You can skip it or substitute parsley.
- Add a little heat by dicing up some jalapenos and adding them to your taco.
- For a burrito version of this, serve with large tortillas, white rice, and seasoned black beans.
Even though we’ve seasoned them, and wrapped them up in soft flour tortillas to make them into tacos- fish sticks in any form require dunking.
And these seasoned chili lime fish sticks need something fancier than your basic ketchup can provide.
If you’ve got to use ketchup (I get it, I have two sons who put ketchup on their ketchup), then go for this smoked ketchup.
It’s sweet, smoky feel will pair perfectly with the lightly spiced fish sticks.
You can never go wrong with a good tartar sauce for a dippable option. Try our simple recipe, and have it ready in a jiff!
Can you ever go wrong with cheese? Not in our house.
Since we don’t include shredded cheese in these chili lime fish stick tacos- we love dunking them in this restaurant style queso dip.
Other Creative Fish Stick Recipes
This chili lime fish stick taco recipe saves the day when I don’t know what to make for dinner but know I want something that tastes and feels fresh.
Make it the next time you have fish sticks and enjoy a new way of serving the dinner staple.
Looking for other interesting fish stick recipes? Try these:
If you’ve tried this CHILI LIME FISH STICK TACOS, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Chili Lime Fish Stick Tacos
- avocado chopped
- tomato chopped
- shredded leaf lettuce
- sliced limes
- cilantro leaves freshly chopped
- flour tortillas street taco size
For The Fish Sticks
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- fish sticks
- Whisk together the fresh lime juice, chili powder, and cumin until smooth. Set aside.
- Prepare & cook the fish sticks according to the package directions. Brush them with the sauce.
- When instructed to turn the fish sticks, do so and brush them again with the chili lime sauce. Stirring it if needed to incorporate again before brushing it on.
- When the fish sticks are done cooking. Set them aside for five minutes to let them cool.
- Assemble your tacos with lettuce on the bottom, then fish sticks, and finished with avocado pieces, tomatoes, and cilantro leaves.
- Serve with sliced limes on the side to squeeze out over the tacos.
Leave a Comment