Air fryer hot pockets are simple to make and full of the same flavor you expect from the frozen snacks. If you make these for your family, you’ll never go back to the frozen, store bought kind ever again!
My boys love Hot Pockets.
After all, they are packed with cheese and meat.
What’s not to love for a bunch of growing boys?
This homemade version is super easy to make.
It can be packed with the same flavors you expect from your favorite store-bought version or you can make your own based on your favorite fillings.
- All purpose flour – Don’t sub out whole wheat flour here. All purpose will give you better results.
- Greek yogurt – Make sure you use unflavored yogurt, vanilla will taste weird.
- Salt – You can use sea salt or your preferred salt.
- Cheddar cheese – I like getting a block of cheddar and grating it fresh, or you can use shredded cheese from a bag.
- Chopped ham – This is a great way to use up left overs or use deli ham if you like.
- Pepperoni slices – You can use your favorite brand of pepperoni.
- Pizza sauce – You can use your favorite sauce or make your own marinara sauce.
- Spices – Garlic and oregano.
- Egg– Lightly beat it to make an egg wash.
How to make
There are two versions you can make: ham and cheese and pizza.
Here’s what to do.
For both, you need to make the dough first.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, yogurt, and salt.
Mix the ingredients well until a dough forms.
Next, place the dough on a well floured surface and split into 10 pieces.
I used a scale for exact measurement, but that’s optional since eyeballing it works too.
Roll each piece of dough into a rectangle that are about 3 inches by 4 inches a piece.
Try to make them as even as possible.
You’ll need to use two pieces of dough per hot pocket.
Ham & Cheese Hot Pockets
For the ham & cheese version, you will need to add 2 to 3 tablespoons of ham and 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese.
Once the cheese and ham are added, use another piece to place on top.
If you prefer, you can use a knife to cut clean edges.
I also like to use a fork to crimp the edges so nothing will leak from the sides when cooking.
Finally, brush with the beaten egg.
Repeat the process for the remaining dough.
Set your air fryer for 10 minutes at 360 degrees and add 2 to 3 pockets.
Halfway through cooking, flip the pockets so they cook evenly.
Remove and allow them to cool for about 5 minutes before eating. Repeat the cooking process for the remaining pockets.
Pizza Hot Pockets
For the pizza version, place about 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce on one dough rectangle and add pepperoni slices and about 2 tablespoons of cheese.
Next, top with the other piece of dough and cut clean edges and crimp with a fork.
Before frying, brush with egg wash and add garlic powder and oregano to taste.
Finally, set your air fryer to 360 degrees for 10 minutes and place two to three pockets in at a time.
Halfway through cooking, flip the pockets so they cook evenly.
Remove the pockets and allow them to cool for about 5 minutes before eating.
Repeat the cooking process for the remaining pockets.
Serving and storing
You should serve the hot pockets after letting them rest for five minutes.
They go great with your favorite condiments like mustard or mayo.
For the pizza version, you can use extra sauce as a dip.
For the ham and cheese version, a little honey mustard sauce makes for a great dippable option.
These make great snacks or lunches.
To store, you can let them cool completely and place them in the fridge for about 2 to 3 days.
Make sure to use an air tight container.
You can also freeze the hot pockets if you like.
Let them cool and then tightly wrap in plastic wrap and place in a freezer safe bag.
To reheat, you can microwave them for about 2 to 3 minutes or until hot on the inside.
Tips and tricks
- My boys love ham and cheese and pizza, but you can certainly stuff these with roasted veggies, just cheese, or sausage. You can also stuff with scrambled eggs, cheese, bacon, and breakfast sausage for a breakfast pocket.
- Make sure to let the pockets cool for about 5 minutes before serving to avoid burning your mouth.
- Don’t over-stuff the pockets! If you put too much in them, it will leak out as it cooks and they may not heat fully through.
- If you prefer a saucier-style filling like the pepperoni version, you can use a cheddar cheese sauce in the ham and cheddar one just like you would the marinara sauce in the other version.
This two-ingredient dough couldn’t be any simpler, but sometimes even I just don’t have time for it.
Or just don’t want the bother.
When convenience is key, I go basic and use one of these pre-packaged options:
- refrigerated pie crust
- store-bought pizza dough, the kind in a can near the biscuits or the actual ball of dough
- canned biscuits, NOT butter flavored- buttermilk or Southern style both work
Other air fryer recipes you may like
Homemade air fryer hot pockets make a delicious afternoon snack, lunch or dinner.
Make a big batch and stuff them with your favorite fillings for a treat you’ll love!
Looking for other air fryer recipes?
- Air Fryer Fried Chicken
- Air Fryer Taco Seasoned Oyster Crackers
- State Fair Style Air Fryer Fried Oreos
If you’ve tried these AIR FRYER HOT POCKETS, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Air Fryer Hot Pockets
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped ham
- Pepperoni slices
- Pizza sauce
- Garlic powder and oregano optional
- 1 egg lightly beaten
Ham & Cheese Version
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, yogurt, and salt and mix well until a dough forms.
- Add dough to well floured surface and split into 10 pieces. I used a scale for exact measurement, but that's optional as eyeballing it works too.
- Roll two pieces of dough into a rectangle about 3 inch by 4 inches.
- Add 2-3 Tbsp ham and 2 tbsp shredded cheese and top with the other piece of dough.
- Cut clean edges if desired and use a fork to crimp the edges so nothing will leak from the sides when cooking.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Add 2-3 pockets to your air fryer and fry for 10 minutes at 360 degrees flipping halfway though so they cook evenly.
- Remove and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before eating.
- Place about 2 Tbsp pizza sauce on one dough rectangle and add pepperoni slices and about 2 Tbsp cheese and top with the other piece of dough.
- Cut clean edges if desired and use a fork to crimp the edges.
- Brush with egg wash and add garlic powder and oregano to taste (optional but delicious)