Look no further for the very best egg salad recipe ever! Packed with flavor from a carefully chosen blend of spices and full of creamy texture and a hint of crunch, this version of the classic will knock your socks off!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Egg salad is often overlooked lunchtime delight, in my opinion.
And I have a theory about that.
I believe it’s because you just have not had truly amazing egg salad.
Well, with this recipe, that will change!
This version is a game changer.
It’s loaded with tons of seasoning and a little bit of crunch and freshness for a salad experience that is so good.
And it is super easy to make ahead, which means I have an easy lunch to serve the boys every day of the week.
Possibly even better, it is really easy to double or triple this recipe if I need to, making it perfect for any picnic or potluck.
Here’s what you’ll need for making the best egg salad you’ve ever tasted:
- Large hard boiled eggs – Make sure you use fully hard boiled eggs not soft boiled. Check out my favorite way to make hard boiled eggs in the air fryer.
- Seasonings – A blend of ground mustard, smoked paprika, celery salt (pinch), salt, and pepper to taste gives this unbelievable flavor.
- Minced shallots – If you have red onion, you could use that instead but it won’t be as mild.
- Chives – Can’t find chives? Use the green stems of scallions.
- Minced celery – You may be able to find these cut and in the produce section of your local store.
- Mayonnaise – Use full fat mayo, NOT miracle whip or mayonnaise style dressing.
- Croissant rolls – You’ll need to cut in them in half, sandwich style. You could also use your favorite bread to make sandwiches.
How to make
This is so easy to make, you’ll find yourself throwing it together all the time!
First, add the eggs to a medium sized mixing bowl and roughly chop them.
I like using a potato masher to get the best consistency and to chop them easily.
Next, add all of the remaining ingredients (except the croissants!) to the bowl and stir everything together until evenly combined.
Once combined, taste it and add as much salt or pepper as you like.
Finally, cover the dish tightly with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
When you are ready to serve, you can spoon the egg salad into a decorative bowl with the prepared croissants on the side so people can serve themselves.
Or, you could add 1/2 cup of the egg salad to one half of each roll and gently spread them out evenly.
Top with their other halves and serve immediately.
Serving and storing
Egg salad goes great on croissants. It’s my personal favorite. But you could serve them on white, wheat, rye, or your favorite bread or roll.
For added crunch, you could lightly toast your bread of choice.
You could also serve egg salad over a pile of fresh greens for a simple salad.
That makes a great alternative lunch too, especially if you’re watching your carbs.
To store, make sure to either wrap tightly with cling wrap or place in an air tight container.
You can store in the fridge for up to about 5 days.
Tips and tricks
Everyone can use some tips and tricks to make life easier.
Here are a few of my suggestions:
- Use a potato masher to ‘chop’ the eggs. This saves time and elbow grease and gives the eggs an even texture.
- If you can’t find or don’t want to use shallots and chives, you can use red onions and the stems of green onions instead.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe for a larger crowd.
- You can make this ahead of time or as a quick lunch all week. It stores well for up to 5 days.
- Stir before serving for the best flavors and texture. Also, I recommend tasting again and checking to see if it needs more salt or pepper.
Other easy lunch recipes you’ll love
My family agrees that this is the best egg salad recipe ever!
It is the perfect spring and summer food that is a refreshing change of pace from cold cut sandwiches.
Make it to step up your lunchtime game!
If you love simple, easy to make lunch recipes, check out some of my other favorites:
- Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches
- Cuban Ham Salad
- Air Fryer Hot Pockets
- Instant Pot Macaroni & Cheese
- Asian Chicken Wraps
If you’ve tried THE BEST EGG SALAD RECIPE, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
The Best Basic Egg Salad
- Add the eggs to a medium sized mixing bowl, and roughly chop them.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients, except the croissants, to the bowl and stir everything together until evenly combined.
- Season with salt & pepper, to taste.
- Cover the dish tightly with cling wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- When ready to serve, you can serve the egg salad in a decorative bowl with the prepared croissants on the side so people can serve themselves OR add 1/2 cup of egg salad to one half of each roll, gently spreading out evenly. Top with their other halves, and serve immediately.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details. As always, all opinions are my own.