Slow cooker buffalo chicken soup satisfies both my wing craving and my desire to eat a warm soup on a cold winter day. The perfect blend of spice and mellow cheese flavors, this soup will make you wonder why you never thought to add your buffalo wings with soup before!
My boys all love buffalo chicken wings.
It’s easily one of their favorite meals at home and when we go out.
During soup season, though, I want to have all the soup.
Why not have both a warm, cozy soup and all the flavor of wings?
There is no better way to satisfy both your desire for a comforting soup and your craving for good old fashioned buffalo wings.
If you or someone you love is buffalo wing fanatic, then this is the spicy soup for you even if you need any easy, low prep meal.
- Chicken broth – You can use regular or low sodium for this.
- Buffalo wing sauce – Use your favorite bottle of hot sauce or buffalo wing sauce, there are lots to choose from!
- Celery salt – You could use regular salt, but you’ll miss out on some extra flavor.
- Garlic powder – There’s really no substitute for garlic powder.
- Russet potatoes – They’ll need to be peeled & diced.
- White onion – You just need a small diced up.
- Celery – You’ll need to dice it or buy pre-cut celery in the produce section.
- Cream cheese – You’ll want to get the hard cream cheese sold in the rectangular container.
- Velveeta cheese – For even melting, you’ll want to cube the cheese.
- Rotisserie chicken – You could use left over baked chicken breast.
- Shredded cheddar – You can use pre-shredded or shred your own block.
How to Make
Add all of the ingredients, except for the rotisserie chicken & the shredded cheddar, into the bowl of your crockpot or slow cooker.
Set your crockpot on low and allow the soup to cook for 7 to 8 hours or until the veggies are tender and soft.
You could also cook this on high heat for 4-5 hours, but I still recommend low and slow.
This will ensure that you’re potatoes are fork tender and that the cheese doesn’t scald.
As it cooks, whisk the soup together at least twice.
When there’s about 30 minutes of cook time left, stir in the chicken and then cover and continue cooking for the remaining time.
After the soup is fully cooked, add the shredded cheddar and stir until fully melted.
Carefully ladle the soup into bowls, top with scallions, bacon, or other favorite toppings.
I love mine topped with a teensy drizzle of creamy ranch dressing. Really gives it the full wing feel for me.
The Hubs tops his with a bit of bleu dressing instead. Either will work!
Serve and enjoy!
Storing and reheating
Buffalo chicken soup is a great make ahead meal.
And like most soups, it gets better the longer you store it.
To store, ladle the soup into one large or several smaller air tight containers.
Storing it in smaller containers makes it easier to grab individual servings for lunches!
If you want, you can freeze the soup.
To do this, ladle it into a freezer safe container and place it in the freezer.
The soup should store for about 3 to 5 days in the fridge and about 6 months in the freezer.
To reheat, you can either ladle out individual servings and heat them in the microwave or pour the soup into a pot and reheat on medium-low heat until warmed through, stirring occasionally.
If you freeze the soup, you can let it thaw overnight in the fridge or just microwave it until it is warmed through.
Tips and Tricks
- To save even more time, you can buy precut celery and onions in the produce section of your grocery store.
- Don’t substitute the Velveeta for other cheese. Velveeta will give you a much smoother melt.
- Adjust the heat level by adding more or less wing sauce to the recipe.
- For more heat, you can add a diced jalapeno.
- Fun topping ideas include a dollop of ranch dressing, a sprinkle of blue cheese, tortilla strips or shredded cheddar.
Other chicken soup recipes you might enjoy
This is our favorite mash up of buffalo chicken and soup.
Try it today to find out why my whole family loves it!
Looking for other chicken soup recipes?
- Crockpot Chicken Parmesan Soup
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken & Black Bean Tex Mex Soup
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Potato Soup
If you’ve tried this SLOW COOKER BUFFALO CHICKEN SOUP or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Soup
- slow cooker
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 4 large russet potatoes peeled & diced
- 1 small white onion diced
- 3-4 stalks celery diced
- 4 oz cream cheese cubed
- 8 oz velveeta cheese cubed
- 6 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- Add all of the ingredients, except the rotisserie chicken & the shredded cheddar to the bowl of your crockpot.
- Set your crockpot on low and allow the mixture to cook for 7-8 hours, or until the veggies are tender. Whisk the mixture together at least twice during cooking.
- When there's 30 minutes of cook time left, stir in the chicken. Cover and continue cooking until the time's up.
- Add the shredded cheddar, and stir until melted.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, top as desired, serve, and enjoy!
Leave a Comment