Ground beef, sausage and rice casserole is a hearty dinner perfect for feeding a hungry crowd. Your whole family will go crazy for this comforting jailhouse rice.
Fall means comfort season is here!
And comfort food of course means soups, stews and hearty casseroles.
All of my favorite things.
My boys are big fans of comfort food season too.
While they will do the soups and stews, the casseroles are really their favorite.
And this one is no exception with two kinds of meat, rice and a yummy creamy sauce.
They love it because it’s delicious and cozy.
I love it because it’s easy as can be to make!
What is Jailhouse Rice?
You might have heard this ground beef, sausage and rice casserole called jailhouse rice.
This hodgepodge of meat, rice and creamy sauce got the moniker because some thinks it looks like prison food.
While it’s true that it may not be the prettiest meal in the world, you should never judge a book by its cover- or in this case food by its appearance!
I promise it is much yummier than the humble hodgepodge of ingredients may lead you to believe!
To make this you’ll need:
- Ground beef– Go for lean ground beef so the casserole isn’t too greasy.
- Ground sausage– Any kind of ground sausage you like will work.
- Veggies– Chopped celery and diced yellow onion.
- Seasonings– Garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Condensed soup– You’ll need both a can of cream of chicken soup and a can of cream of celery soup. You could also substitute in a can of cream of mushroom if you prefer.
- Chicken broth– Don’t have it or can’t find it? You could sub beef broth instead.
- Rice– Use a long grain white rice like basmati or jasmine.
How to Make
This casserole has a super easy prep!
To make it, add the meats, celery, and onion to a large skillet set over medium high heat. Cook and crumble the meat until the meat is browned through out.
Remove the skillet from heat, and strain off any excess grease.
Stir the the cream of soups in the meat mixture in the skillet, and then stir in the broth and rice.
Lightly spray a 9×13″ baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Spread the rice mixture out evenly in the prepared casserole dish.
Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil, and bake at 350° for an hour and 15 minutes.
Remove the dish from the oven, and let it rest for 5 minutes.
Use a sturdy spoon to stir things around to gently ‘fluff’ the rice.
Then serve and enjoy!
You can store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days,
To store, let the the casserole cool and either wrap the baking dish tightly in aluminum foil or transfer the casserole to airtight containers.
Reheat in the oven or the microwave until warm.
Can I freeze this?
Yes! You can definitely freeze this casserole.
If you are planning to make this as a freezer meal, bake it in a disposable oven safe, freezer safe casserole dish.
To freeze, make sure that your casserole has cooled completely and then put the lid on the dish and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
Put the casserole in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Let thaw in the fridge and then bake in the oven to reheat.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure you cover the casserole well before baking to keep the rice moist.
- You can switch up your cream of soups with any you happen to like.
- Go for your preferred sausage. Hot, mild, Italian- it doesn’t matter as long as you like it!
Other Cozy Rice Casseroles You’ll Love
This ground beef, sausage and rice casserole is a hearty winner your family love. Make it this week and you’ll be adding it to your regular rotations!
Looking for other cozy rice casseroles? Try these:
- Cheesy Ground Beef & Rice Casserole
- Rotisserie Chicken & Rice Casserole
- Shrimp & Rice Casserole
- Zucchini Rice Casserole with Bacon
- Cheesy Chicken & Wild Rice Casserole
- Marsala Chicken & Rice Casserole
- Chicken Rice Pilaf Casserole
- Oven Baked Fried Rice with Chicken
- Stick of Butter Rice
- Creamy Chicken Caesar Wild Rice Casserole
If you’ve tried this GROUND BEEF, SAUSAGE AND RICE CASSEROLE, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Ground Beef, Sausage & Rice Casserole aka Jailhouse Rice
- 1 - 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 1/4 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 14.5 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 14.5 oz can condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 cups long grain white rice recommend either basmati or jasmine
- Add the meats, celery, and onion to a large skillet set over medium high heat. Cook them, crumbling the meat as you do, until the meat's cooked & browned through out- about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from heat, and strain off any excess grease.
- Add the cream of soups to the skillet, and stir until evenly combined. Pour in the broth, again stirring until evenly combined. Stir in the rice.
- Lightly spray a 9x13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Transfer the rice mixture to the prepared casserole dish, and spread it out evenly.
- Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil, and bake at 350° for an hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven, and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Use a sturdy spoon to stir things around to gently 'fluff' the rice. Then scoop onto plates or into bowls and serve.
recipe adapted from Soulfully Made