The best homemade chocolate chip cookies are my family’s favorite take on the classic sweet. Featuring the perfect ratio of butter, sugars and flour, the cookies will be gone nearly as fast as you as make them!
Is there anything better than a good, freshly baked chocolate chip cookie right out of the oven?
The gooey chocolate and the not quite set cookie….
Ah it’s the food stuff of dreams.
And this recipe is the very best of the best cookie recipes out there.
At least that’s what we think.
What makes these chocolate chip cookies so good?
My method for making these cookies is a bit different than the standard way of making cookies.
Most recipes call for creaming together softened butter and equal proportions of brown sugar and white sugar.
This recipe involves melting the butter and then whisking the sugars into the melted butter.
Plus, rather than using an equal ratio of white and brown sugar, we are using double the amount of brown sugar to granulated sugar.
The result is an extra chewy cookie with an absolutely luscious caramel background flavor that you won’t be able to get enough of!
- Butter– Make sure it’s unsalted.
- Sugars– Both granulated sugar and loosely packed brown sugar.
- Egg– Let it come to room temperature before use.
- Vanilla– Use real vanilla extract for best results.
- Salt– To balance the sweetness.
- Baking soda– For leavening.
- Flour– All purpose flour works best.
- Chocolate chips– I like mini chocolate chips but you can use any size or variety you like.
How to Make
Making these cookies is a touch different from making most chocolate chip cookie recipes.
To do it, first preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Then, melt the butter in a saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat..
Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the white and brown sugars.
Cook over low heat until the sugars have begun to melt into the butter, whisking regularly.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
Once the butter and sugar mixture has cooled, whisk in the egg and vanilla.
Then, stir in the salt and baking soda.
Next, gently stir in the flour ¼-½ cup at a time just until the flour is incorporated and all of the ingredients are smooth.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Then, use a cookie scoop to drop dollops of dough on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Allow the cookies to cool, transferring to a cooling rack if desired.
To store the cookies, let them cool completely.
Then transfer them to an airtight tupperware container or a cookie jar on your counter.
Tips and Tricks
- Be careful not to overmix the flour into the the dough. Doing so will result in tougher cookies.
- While mixing the dough, scrape down the sides of the pot to make sure all the ingredients get incorporated.
- Don’t skip letting the butter and sugar cool. If you add the egg to a butter sugar mixture that’s too warm, you could scramble the egg.
Other Homemade Cookie Recipes You’ll Love
My family and I all agree that these are the best homemade chocolate chip cookies and perfect to make anytime! Make them the next time you have a cookie craving and enjoy!
Looking for other homemade cookie recipes? Try these:
- Tollhouse Cookie Pie Bars
- Hot Chocolate Cookies
- Chewy White Chocolate Chip Cranberry Cookies
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Cookies
- Copycat Panera Bread Kitchen Sink Cookies
- Red Velvet Cookies
If you’ve tried this BEST HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE , or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
The Best Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips I used mini chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat..
- Reduce the heat to low and stir or whisk in the white and brown sugars. Cook over low heat until the sugars have begun to melt into the butter.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Stir in the salt and baking soda.
- Add the flour, stirring in ¼-½ cup at a time until the flour is incorporated and all of the ingredients are smooth.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by large spoonfuls on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Allow the cookies to cool and dig in!
Leave a Comment