This easy marsala chicken and rice casserole has all the classic flavors of chicken marsala in an effortless casserole. Rich, savory mushroom gravy covers tender shredded chicken and fragrant jasmine rice for a hearty, crowd pleasing casserole.
Chicken marsala is one of those dishes that I absolutely love with its earthy, rich mushrooms and creamy sauce. But making traditional chicken marsala for a family of 6 takes more active prep time on any given night than I have.
For traditional marsala, you have to dunk each chicken breast in flour and sautee them in olive oil. Then you remove them from the pan, cook the mushrooms, and make a marsala reduction. It just ends up taking more time and effort than my busy family schedule allows most nights of the week.
So instead of going through all that trouble, I have condensed the recipe into this marsala chicken and rice casserole. Rather than bread chicken cutlets, I’m taking a short cut here and using a rotisserie chicken. It’s just as delicious, but such a time saver.
So now instead of having to flour and brown chicken, you can skip ahead to browning the mushrooms in butter. After the mushrooms are lightly brown, whisk in the flour and cook the flour until it is golden.
It should have a paste like consistency at that point. Then, stir in your wine and the heavy cream. Keep stirring until the mixture is smooth and then you’ll let the mixture come to a simmer. Let it keep simmering until the mixture thickens at which point you can add the water and salt and pepper.
Now you can spray a baking dish with non stick spray and evenly spread the rice and shredded chicken out in the dish. Then pour the delicious mushroom gravy on top of the rice and chicken. Then you can cover the dish with foil and bake it for about 35 minute minutes.
All that’s left? Topping the delicious marsala chicken and rice casserole with some shredded Parmesan cheese and baking for another few minutes to melt the cheese. Then serve up this marsala chicken and rice casserole with a quick salad and enjoy with your family.
Other Delicious Marsala Wine Infused Recipes:
Marsala Chicken & Rice Casserole
- 2 tbsp butter
- 10 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp fresh, chopped parsley
- 2 cups water, or chicken broth
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, stirring often, until they're softened & browned- about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour to the skillet, stirring to coat the mushrooms, and let it simmer for about a minute.
- Whisk in the wine & cream until the mixture's smooth. Bring to a simmer, and continue cooking- stirring occasionally, until the mixture's nicely thickened. Stir in the water, parsley, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Lightly spray a 9x13" baking dish with non stick cooking spray. Add the rice to the dish, and spread it out evenly. Top with the chicken. Pour the mushroom gravy gently out over the top of the rice & chicken.
- Cover the dish with foil, and seal it up tightly. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle the Parmesan cheese evenly out over top and bake an extra 5 minutes. Serve immediately.