Crunchy popcorn salad with snap peas combines elements from coleslaw and Mexican corn salad to create a unique summer side dish you’ll love! Friends and family will be begging for this dish at your next barbecue, picnic or potluck.
My boys adore popcorn.
So when I saw the popcorn salad trend take the internet by storm earlier this year I was intrigued.
I made it and played with the recipe, putting my own spin on it with Ranch seasoning.
Let me tell you, I am firmly in the camp of thinking this salad is delicious and I know you will be too!
What exactly is popcorn salad?
Popcorn salad was a recipe featured by a Food Network show called Girl Meets Farm.
The episode aired originally in spring 2021 and got everyone talking!
It borrows flavors and ideas from two popular barbecue sides: coleslaw and Mexican corn salad.
And, yes, it really does include popcorn!
To make it you’ll need:
- Popcorn kernels– Pop them according to package instructions.
- Ranch seasoning– A package of Ranch seasoning gives this such incredible flavor!
- Mayonnaise– Full fat mayo works best. Avoid mayonnaise style dressing.
- Sour cream– Again, I prefer full fat in this recipe for best flavor.
- Vinegar– A bit of apple cider vinegar adds tang to balance the creaminess of the mayo and sour cream combo.
- Mustard– Go for Dijon mustard for a tiny bit of spice and savory flavor.
- Sugar– Granulated sugar balances the tang and spice.
- Veggies– Thinly sliced green onions, sugar snap peas cut into thirds, shredded carrots, and chopped celery.
How to Make
Making this starts with popping the popcorn according to package instructions.
Once the popcorn has popped, sprinkle 3-4 Tablespoons ranch seasoning over popcorn and toss it together to combine.
Then, add the mayonnaise, sour cream, apple cider vinegar, and mustard, and sugar into a large bowl and mix until combined.
Next, add in green onions, snap peas, shredded carrots, and celery and toss in the dressing until everything is covered.
Add the popcorn on top and gently fold into the mixture until completely coated.
Top with more shredded carrots and celery leaves if using and serve immediately.
Can I make this ahead of time?
This isn’t the best dish to make ahead.
If you want to do some pre prep to make life easier, you can make the dressing and veggie part of this salad up to the day before. However, don’t toss it with the popcorn until right before serving so the popcorn maintains its texture.
I don’t recommend storing leftovers. The popcorn will lose its texture and get soft and soggy.
However, if you really want to save leftovers, put them in an air tight container and refrigerate them for up to a day.
Tips and Tricks
- Play with flavor variations. You can sub cheddar seasoning, Parmesan cheese or other popcorn seasonings instead of Ranch.
- Get creative with your veggies and add more greens if you desire.
- Go for full fat mayo and sour cream for the best flavor and don’t sub low fat versions.
Other Summer Side Dishes You’ll Love
This crunchy popcorn salad with snap peas is a surprising twist on two summer sides I know you’ll love. Make it for your next barbecue, picnic or potluck and enjoy!
Looking for other summer side dishes? Try these:
- Killer Marinated Tomato Salad
- Smoked Jalapeno Cheddar Creamed Corn
- Buffalo Style Potato Salad
- Corn Salad with Fritos
- Bloody Mary Pasta Salad
- Crunchy Pea Salad with Bacon
- Tomato Cracker Salad
If you’ve tried this CRUNCHY POPCORN SALAD WITH SNAP PEAS or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Crunchy Popcorn Salad With Snap Peas
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 pkg Ranch seasoning
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 cups sugar snap peas cut into thirds
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup celery chopped plus leaves (optional)
- Pop the popcorn according to package instructions. Sprinkle 3-4 Tablespoons ranch seasoning over popcorn and toss to combine.
- Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, apple cider vinegar, and mustard, and sugar into a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Next, add in green onions, snap peas, shredded carrots, and celery and toss to combine in the mayo dressing.
- Add the popcorn on top and gently fold into the mixture until completely coated.
- Top with more shredded carrots and celery leaves if using and serve immediately.