A creamy side salad, this Crunchy Pea & Bacon Salad features cubed cheddar, green peas, and crisp pieces of bacon in a savory sauce. It’s is a shoe-in for favorite side dish at your next gathering.
Spring has sprung. Or so we thought here in the good Old Dominion, but Spring apparently only decided to hang around for seven days, before high-tailing it back to parts unknown.
That however, and the much cooler temps, didn’t stop the first BBQ get together of the season.
I always have a few go-to barbecue, grill-out get together style go-to dishes to make for any function we’re going to or get invited to.
While a pasta-based salad may be more traditional, this pea salad doesn’t disappoint. A cool twist on an old classic, with a great crunch from both the peas and the crispy bacon bits.
I know you may be looking at this recipe and thinking ‘a whole salad made out of peas’? really?! Well, it’s true you really can make a totally tasty salad out of peas!
On first reading this recipe, you will have no idea how good it is. So don’t read it. Don’t doubt. Just plow ahead, make it, and see for yourself.
Crisp cooked peas replace traditional pasta in this savory side salad. Tossed with crunchy bacon and cubes of rich cheddar cheese, nothing is missing form this yummy side salad.
It’s perfect for a potluck, for a barbecue, for a picnic. My husband and kids have even been known to eat it as a stand alone lunch or meal.
Crunchy Pea & Bacon Salad
- 2-3 cups frozen peas thawed
- 1 lb bacon cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup small cheddar cheese cubes
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mayo, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, Worcestershire, & soy sauce.
- Add in the peas, bacon, onion, and cheese. Gently toss until everything's evenly combined.
- Chill for at least one hour before serving.
Other salads you may enjoy:
Pictures updated 3/29/17