Whether you’re looking for the ultimate appetizer, or a delicious easy dinner these crockpot Hawaiian meatballs are there for you. They’re quick, easy, and they taste amazing with a simple ingredient list. Soaked in a sweet yet savory sauce, these meatballs make a kickin’ appetizer or a delicious dinner- just depending on how you serve ’em!
I’m always on the lookout for new things to do with ground beef. I buy two 6 lb packages of lean ground beef each month from Costco.One gets divided into 1lb packages to freeze and use for meals. The other gets divided and made into meatloaf and meatballs.
They loved it. The sweet and sour sauce was rich and delicious. I love it when I can get fruit into any meal. They devoured it and asked for more.
These are by far, the BEST crock pot meatballs I’ve ever had. That’s saying something too, because I swear by my honey buffalo meatballs.
Crockpot Hawaiian meatballs are simple. They’re easy. They’re filling. AND they’re budget friendly! All of which made this recipe a keeper for a busy Mom with a boat-load of growing boys to feed.
Ingredients Needed For Crockpot Hawaiian Meatballs:
- pineapple chunks
- green bell pepper
- brown sugar
- soy sauce
Seven everyday ingredients is all that stand between anyone and this yummy dish. There’s minimal prep work to be done. That’s always a wonderful thing when I’m deciding on what to make for any occasion. I’ve always got meatballs on hand in the freezer, and my beloved crockpot’s always within arms reach in my kitchen.
If any of those ring true for you, then keep reading to find out how to make the easiest and also tastiest saucy meatballs on the planet.
How To Make Hawaiian Meatballs:
- Add the meatballs to the crockpot. Top them with the green peppers & drained pineapple chunks.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the reserved pineapple juice, brown sugar, cornstarch, vinegar, & soy sauce until completely smooth.
- Pour the sauce evenly out over the meatballs.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours, or until the sauce has thickened and the meatballs are heated through.
Not only is the ingredients list short, but so are the directions.
Four steps, and your meatballs have gone from start to finish. You’re ready to dig in.
While they’re cooking, make a batch of white rice to serve them over and dinner’s pretty much done. Paired with an easy side dish, and this really is the easiest meal to throw together.
One of the many reasons I love it. The other’s all relating to it’s flavor.
As with any other crockpot recipe, magic happens in there while this cooks.
The sugars in the pineapple chunks caramelize, darkening the fruit, but creating a rich depth of flavor. It’s not shockingly sweet, but pleasing.
It’s tempered by the vinegar and soy sauce, with a little extra infusion of sweet from the brown sugar.
The cornstarch helps everything thicken up naturally while it cooks.
The result’s beautifully glazed meatballs bathed in a sweet sauce. Serve it as is, or over a bed of cooked white rice. These crockpot Hawaiian meatballs also make a tasty filling for lettuce wraps.
Tips & Tricks:
- In the recipe I just mention ‘frozen meatballs’, or homemade. I tend to stick with the beef variety, but turkey or chicken meatballs would both work just as well. Just opt for a meatball without a bunch of additional seasoning.
- If you don’t have a green pepper handy, any variety of bell pepper will work. The pepper doesn’t have to be diced either. If you prefer strips or larger chunks, cut them accordingly.
- The meatballs are great served as is, but if you want to serve it with some extra flair- a garnish of freshly chopped cilantro leaves or thinly sliced green onions are both delicious additions.
- You can serve this over any white rice, but I’ve found quicker cooking long-grain rices like jasmine or basmati to absorb the sauce better- leading to an overall better result.
Really, this is a must try. No longer are meatballs only for Italian-style dishes.
Skip the typical bland crock pot ‘cocktail’ style recipes that have been done countless times before. Make these crockpot Hawaiian meatballs instead, and pass along the flavor.
This is a recipe everyone will love, whatever the occasion & whoever you make it for!
Other Easy Ways To Use Meatballs:
If you’ve tried these CROCKPOT HAWAIIAN MEATBALLS or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Crockpot Hawaiian Meatballs
- 32 oz pre-packaged frozen meatballs or about 2 lbs frozen, homemade meatballs
- 13.5 oz can of unsweetened pineapple chunks drain and reserve juice
- 1 large green pepper diced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Place meatballs in crock pot and top with green pepper and drained pineapple chunks.
- In a separate bowl, mix reserved pineapple juice, brown sugar, cornstarch, vinegar and soy sauce.
- Pour sauce over meatballs, pineapple and green peppers.Cook on low for 3-4 hours or until heated through.
- Serve the meatballs over cooked white rice.