These Christmas light cookies make decorating dazzling sugar cookies a snap. With no need to break out a rolling pin or a cookie cutter, Christmas light sugar cookies shine as brightly as other decorated sugar cookies with no piping skills needed.
Premade sugar cookie dough and cookie icing take the work out of these cookies and turn them into an easy food craft for everyone to enjoy.
Decorating cookies can be hard work. I know at least some of you agree with me. And it’s one of those things that should be fun at all times. Decorating cookies shouldn’t be stressful but it often is.
Pinterest and Instagram are flooded with cookie works of art. And what normal person with non expert level cookie decorating skills can compete with that?
Well, now those of us without serious cookie decorating skills can compete. These Christmas light cookies are a no fail way to decorate an adorable cookie without a PhD in cookie decorating or pastry art.
Just start with an round sugar cookie and add a circle of white cookie icing in the middle of the cookie. Let the icing harden. When the icing is hard, pipe on a curvy line of black gel icing.
Let the gel icing just start to set, but don’t let it set all the way. Then add several M&Ms onto your black icing at different points. Let the icing set totally to hold the candy in place.
For some variety, try piping different patterns of black lines on to your cookies. Make some curvy and try others more zigzagged… Whatever you like.
Whatever design you draw in the gel to be the light strand, you need to let the cookies set totally. You can leave them alone overnight, or if you need them to be ready more quickly, you can pop the cookies into the freezer so the gel hardens fast. This trick is great in a pinch like when you need to take cookies to a holiday party that night.
Not that that ever happens. More than two or three times.
And just like that you have designer level Christmas light cookies that even Martha Stewart would go crazy for. No crazy piping skills needed.
Other Christmas Themed Treats You Might Also Enjoy:
- Cranberry Orange Rice Krispie Treats
- Holiday Nutella Haystack Cookies
- Gingerbread Eggnog Milkshakes
- Chewy White Chocolate & Cranberry Cookies
- White Chocolate Gingerbread Crescent Rolls
If you’ve tried these CHRISTMAS LIGHT COOKIES, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Christmas Light Cookies
- Sugar Cookies Prepared or Sugar Cookie Dough
- White Cookie Icing found in the cake decorating area
- A Family Size Bag of M&M's
- 1 Tube of Black Gel Icing found in the cake decorating area
- Start by putting your white cookie icing on each cookie.
- Start on the outer edge and work your way to the center. Make sure it's a fairly thick layer.
- Let your white icing harden and set.
- Take your gel icing and carefully make strands from one side of the cookie to the other, as shown. You can make your lines straight or curled, up to you.
- Before your gel icing sets, place one of each color M&M on your black icing, as shown.
- Let your cookie set, you can even place them in the freezer briefly.
- Serve and enjoy!