The chewy rice krispies we’ve always known and loved have been given a delicious face lift. Tasty dried cranberries are stirred right in along with a hint of sweet orange, making these Cranberry Orange Rice Krispie Treats a sweet treat for any season.
Cranberry and orange is such a dynamic flavor duo, and it seems to pop up a lot during Fall. We also think it’s perfect for The Winter Holidays.
And Rice Krispie treats have and will always one of the kids’ favorite things to make and to eat. So combining the two was a win for everyone.
They still got to make , play in, and eat sugary, sticky crunchy melted marshmallow goodness, and we got to experiment with adding in some
gourmet (that’s a stretch, isn’t it?) grownup mix-ins.
If you haven’t experimented with going beyond the basic Krispie treat, this recipe is a perfect starting point.
The tartness of the dried cranberries is balanced out by the sweet orange and packed into every chewy bite.
Cranberry Orange Rice Krispie Treats
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 bag 10 oz. mini marshmallows
- 1/4 tsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup dried cranberries such as Craisins
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted, add in the marshmallows and stir. Let marshmallows melt completely, stirring occasionally. Stir in the Orange zest and juice. Remove the skillet from heat and set aside.
- Pour in both the cereal and dried cranberries, carefully stirring (so none spills out) until everything's evenly coated with the melted marshmallow. Coat a 9x13 baking dish with non stick spray, and then transfer the cereal to the dish. Use the back of a greased spatula to gently press the mixture down and out, evenly into the dish. Let the treats cool completely, then cut into squares before serving.