Thick fudgey chocolate brownies are topped with a whipped peanut butter spread and then sealed with a rich chocolate ganache. The classic combination of peanut butter & chocolate, but added to brownies? Well that stroke of genius made these Buckeye Brownies both a thing to behold, to cherish, and to enjoy- whatever the occasion.
I don’t know about other kids, but mine love peanut butter, and by love I mean a ‘love’ bordering on obsession. If allowed, they would quite happily eat it as part of every meal.
I’m beginning to think Peanut Butter is it’s own food group in my boys’ pyramid. Somewhere I had seen that January 24th is National Peanut Butter Day.
Once aware, I knew I couldn’t let this particular ‘holiday’ go unannounced or without ceremony in my household.
I figured it was the perfect excuse to whip up some buckeye brownies. I knew these little nuggets of deliciousness were the perfect way to pay homage to peanut butter and all it’s tasty glory.
Boy was I right, one tray of these, around 2 -3 dozen, didn’t even make it through the night before they’d all been gobbled up.
Despite how out of the world these sweet little bites end up being, there beginnings are quite humble. We begin by mixing and baking a store bought brownie mix according to the package directions in a greased 9×13 inch dish.
The brownies are removed from the oven, and allowed to cool completely. And I do mean completely, you can’t skip this step, or you’ll end up with sub par results in the end.
Either in the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a regular mixing bowl with a hand mixer, powdered sugar, softened butter, and peanut butter are creamed together until evenly combined and smooth. This mixture’s then spread evenly out over the cooled brownies with an inverted spatula.
In a heated sauce pan or skillet, the chocolate & remaining butter are melted together, stirring often until evenly combined. This mixture’s then spread evenly out over the brownies, and allowed to cool completely. Cut into squares, these Buckeye Brownies are best served with a cold, frothy glass of milk.
Whatever you had in mind, these Buckeye Brownies are sure to blow your sweet expectations out of the water.
Other Dessert Recipes You Might Also Enjoy:
- Butterfinger Cheesecake Brownies
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars
- Chocolate Pretzel Monkey Bread with Caramel Drizzle
- 1 box brownie mix
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup + 6 tbsp butter softened and divided
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Prepare brownie mix, and bake in a greased 9x13 pan, according to package directions.
- Let brownies cool completely.
- Mix powdered sugar, butter, and peanut butter until evenly combined.
- Spread evenly over cooled brownies.
- Chill brownies for 1 hour.
- In a saucepan, over low heat, melt chocolate and remaining butter stirring until evenly combined.
- Spread the chocolate mixture over the brownies and let cool.
post & pictures updated 12/22/2018