Growing up my Mom tried really hard to make memories and create traditions for myself and my sisters. We always had something to look forward to. No matter what the holiday, we had something special to coincide. Looking back now, it always added to our anticipation and made events seem more special, even the little ones, and sometimes almost magical. Mom also loved flags. She had lots of flags, a flag for everything. We would even compete for the honorable duty of ‘changing the flag.’ Perhaps the only occasions without their own designated banner were birthdays. I will never forget the year I woke up to discover a special flag had been hung, while I slept, with a birthday cake on it. Let me tell you, when you’re under 6 and there’s a banner waving to the world announcing your birthday, you feel like royalty. Every year after that, for every birthday, we woke up to our flag flying high. I wanted to do something similar for my boys, but I didn’t inherit my mother’s love for flags, so that was out for me. However, I do love wreaths! I had seen several balloon wreaths for sale and decided that would be the perfect announcement to grace our front door announcing my own children’s special days. The boys loved it! I loved it! It was simple, affordable, and could easily be adapted by coordinating colors for any theme or other event.
Birthday Balloon Wreath
- 1 12″ Straw Wreath, left in plastic wrap (but you could use a larger frame if you desired, or smaller for table centerpieces)
- Floral pins
- balloons (whatever colors and sizes)
- wreath hanger
- Warning: Do not unwrap your straw wreath! It will make a gigantic mess and you’ll feel like you woke up in a hay field.
- Take one balloon and one floral pin.
- Starting at any point on the wreath, pin the balloons into the wreath using the floral pins.
- Pinning the balloons to the wreath at their middle helps ensure a more uniform look.
- Continue pinning balloons around the wreath, alternating colors until you’ve achieved your desired result.
- Display on your front door.
Leave a Comment