Brat and beer cheese soup is the finest bowl of creamy comfort food you can imagine. This hearty soup recipe can be on your table in under 30 minutes. Serve this dish for dinner with a hunk of crusty bread for maximum dipping potential.
Sometimes you just need a little beer cheese in your life.
Like when you’ve been dealing with a pandemic and a quarantine.
This situation definitely calls for comfort food to the max and that’s exactly what this beer cheese and brat soup is.
A New Use for Bratwurst!
Most of the time when I have a package of brats in my fridge, I think of sandwiches or casseroles.
Soup is a new and different way to use up this standard ingredient. If you haven’t tried bratwurst in soup, you are missing out my friends.
The brats give this beer cheese soup so much flavor. I know you will just love it!
How to Make Brat and Beer Cheese Soup
This brat and beer cheese soup is so easy to make.
To make it, melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Then stir in the onion, carrot, and shallots. Reduce the heat to medium low and saute the veggies for 8-10 minutes or until they are soft.
Tips and Tricks to Making the Best Brat and Beer Cheese Soup
- Don’t underestimate stirring. This soup is easy to make but if you don’t stir it enough there will be odd lumps and clumps. You can’t over-stir the soup, but you can under-stir it.
- Use any bratwurst and beer you like. You can also sub kielbasa or smoked sausage if you’re trying to use meat already on hand.
- You can use pre-shredded cheese, but freshly shredded melts best for the smoothest texture.
- Don’t let the soup come to a boil after you add the cheese. The cheese will separate.
- Use half and half or cream for the best flavor and mouth feel. Don’t substitute for a low fat dairy product.
Other Sausage Soups You Might Enjoy
This beer cheese and brat soup packs tons of cheesy flavor making it a personal favorite. Make some the next time you have bratwursts and find out why I love it so much!
If you are looking for other sausage soup recipes, try these:
- Sausage & Grits Chowder
- Warm Sausage & Kale Soup
- Slow Cooker Breakfast Soup
If you’ve tried this BRAT & BEER CHEESE SOUP, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Brat & Beer Cheese Soup
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 cup carrot shredded
- 2 shallots finely diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup half & half
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds crushed
- salt & pepper to taste
- 10 oz Wisconsin cheddar cheese shredded
- 5 bratwurst cooked & thinly sliced
- 1 12 oz bottle beer
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the onion, carrot, and shallots. Reduce the heat to medium low and saute them until soft & tender- roughly 8-10 minutes.
- Add the broth & flour to a large mixing bowl. Whisk until combined and no lumps remain. Pour this mixture into the Dutch oven, and stir to combine with the veggies.
- To the pot add the seeds, half & half, salt, and pepper. Stir.
- Raise the heat back to medium, and let the mixture simmer (stirring often) until thickened- about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, and stir in the cheese. Continue stirring until the cheese has melted and the soup's smooth, and do not let the mixture boil.
- Slowly pour in the beer. Slowly, to reduce foaming, and stir the whole time you're pouring it in. Once the beer's incorporated, add the sausage.
- Ladle into soup bowls and serve warm with rye bread.
Leave a Comment