Don’t let boredom keep you from killer lunches. This Tex Mex chicken salad is ready in a snap, and is chock full of flavorful ingredients. It’s hearty, but with half the calories in a traditional chicken salad- plus it’s got Tex Mex flair!
Spring is here, most days at least. And now that the weather’s getting warmer it’s one of my favorite seasons– picnic season!
What are your picnic staples? One of mine Is almost always a good, hearty chicken salad sandwich recipe.
I love taking my kids to a local park and watching them climb the ancient magnolias and run around and just be boys enjoying the fresh air and soaking in the sunshine.
I also love being prepared for them falling out on the family blanket and after they’ve exhausted themselves and declaring how hungry they are, having an easy lunch on hand.
Hello, Tex Mex Chicken Salad sandwiches.
I especially love it when they’ve worked up a huge appetite and tell me just how many sandwiches they’re going to need. Or ya know berating me for not packing nearly enough food. Before they’ve even eaten.
Luckily, this hearty recipe really packs it in though- so I have zero problem telling them that their eyes are bigger than their bellies, and let’s finish sandwich # 1 before we worry about the next one.
This healthy chicken salad recipe is one of my favorites and not just because of it’s Mexican flair.
It’s hearty and there’s no way you can stop at just one bite. You’re going to want it in a sandwich–stat! And the breading you choose just perfects it.
A nice crusty ciabatta bun or a savory flatbread are our favorite ways to enjoy it. It’s still good when sandwiched between two pieces of our favorite toast too.
How To Make Chicken Salad With Tex Mex Flavors- It’s Surprisingly Simple!
Making it is easier than you’d think too!
I mean, I know chicken salad is easy enough but this recipe makes it super simple to incorporate surprising new flavors into the dish without extra work or effort.
To start it’s like every other chicken salad; add all the good things to a really large bowl and mix them until evenly incorporated.
So to your large mixing bowl, add the chopped rotisserie chicken, mayo, salt, pepper, taco seasoning, diced tomato, red onion, green onions, sweet bell peppers, fresh cilantro leaves, and Mexican blend cheeses.
Does that not have you hooked already? I mean with that ingredient list alone- count me in. I’m sitting at the table with my fork at the ready!
Everything’s given a good mix, just until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated and everything’s coated in the ‘dressing’ that’s been created.
That’s it! Your Tex Mex chicken salad is ready to enjoy at this point.
The only thing I like to do is give it a final taste for seasoning purposes. Sometimes I like to add a touch more salt, pepper, or even a bit more of the taco seasoning. It’s all about your personal taste!
Serving A Tex Mex Style Chicken Salad- What’s The Best Way
Ok, so when it comes to serving this Mexican inspired chicken salad- you’ve actually got a lot of options.
- The most obvious would be bread. Sliced bread is always a yummy option. We love fluffy wheat, but we also adore it when those same slices are toasted.
- Make It A Dip. This recipe also works as a delicious, hearty dip option when paired with thick crackers like pretzel chips or toasted pita chips. Make sure the crackers are thick because there’s nothing more sad than going in for a dip and your cracker breaking along the way.
- Spread it! You can use this as a spread with things like melba toasts and with mini cocktail rye party breads.
- The Best Way! Naan bread is our absolute favorite way to enjoy this chicken salad. Whether it’s with naan dippers, wrapped up in a bigger piece like a wrap, or using the naan ‘bread’ to make it into sandwiches.
- Cutting Carbs? Serve it on leaves of crisp romaine lettuce leaves instead! They have all the flavor, and you won’t miss anything but the excess carbs.
Tender, chopped rotisserie chicken, sweet bell peppers, red onion, diced tomatoes, green onions, a blend of Mexican cheeses and chopped fresh cilantro are tossed in a light tex mex seasoned mayo dressing in this Tex Mex chicken salad recipe.
It’s a fresh Mexican-style chicken salad that’s loaded with bold, inspired flavors for a tex mex flair fit for any sandwich and perfect for lunch at home or for a packed picnic basket. Make it for your own family, and find out how y’all best enjoy eating it!
Other Chicken Salad Recipes You Might Also Enjoy:
If you’ve tried this TEX MEX CHICKEN SALAD, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Tex Mex Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked chopped rotisserie chicken, or chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- taco seasoning to taste
- 1-2 roma tomatos diced
- 2-3 tbsp. diced red onion
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1-2 mini sweet peppers seeded and diced
- 3 tbsp. washed and dried chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheeses
- 3-4 ciabatta buns lightly toasted or flatbreads
- In a large bowl combine the shredded chicken, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, taco seasoning (I would start with 1 teaspoon and add more if needed), diced tomato, red & green onions, sweet peppers, cilantro and cheeses.
- Stir the mixture together until the ingredients are evenly incorporated and everything's coated in the 'dressing'. Taste, then add extra salt, pepper and taco seasoning, as desired.
- Serve on either the toasted ciabatta buns or on soft flatbreads.
Leave a Comment