In less than 30 minutes you can have this Spicy Sausage and Pasta Casserole whipped up. A little bit spicy, a little bit creamy, and a whole lot of cheesy– this one dish dinner has it all.
Do you ever have those days where you impulse buy things you don’t usually use or particularly need just because it’s on sale and you have a killer coupon?
That happens to me more often than I would probably care to admit.
I mean, if the final price is going to be almost FREE, it just seems like doing the store a favor to take the merchandise off of their hands.
That, and I get a little bit of a rush.
Call it a ‘cheap high’.
That’s exactly how I ended up with several packages of smoked sausage in my freezer that needed cooking and no ideas about what to do with it.
Then I came across this cheesy nugget of a recipe at Kevin & Amanda‘s blog and decided to give it a go.
You can never go wrong with a pasta and cheese combo. Well, you can’t in my book anyway. I recently met someone who didn’t like cheese. Like, any cheese. Mind was blown, but that’s a story for another day.
I altered the original recipe a bit to feed my larger family and this Spicy Sausage and Pasta Casserole is now one of my ‘fan favorites’. Seriously, it’s delicious. Give it a try…your taste buds will thank you.
Other Pasta Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- One Pot Cajun Chicken Alfredo
- Chicken Bacon Caesar Pasta
- Creamy Garlic Shells Pasta
- Cheesy Meatball & Shells Casserole
If you’ve tried thIS SPICY SAUSAGE AND PASTA CASSEROLE, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Spicy Sausage and Pasta Casserole
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced into coins
- 1 lb rotini pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes & green chilies
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Over medium high heat, add olive oil to a dutch oven and toss with smoke sausage and onions. Saute until lightly browned. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, only about 30 seconds.
- Add in broth, tomatoes, half and half, pasta, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer until pasta is tender.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in 1 cup of cheese.
- Transfer to a casserole or baking dish and top with remaining cup of cheese and scallions. Broil until cheese is slightly browned and bubbly.
- Serve & enjoy!
Pictures Updated 7/14/17
Leave a Comment