Mayonnaise laden pasta salads are a classic, but they seem to be less in vogue these days. Healthier is in & healthier side dishes are trending. This sesame ginger pasta salad is a lightened up version of the traditional Summer side dish, but with every ounce of flavor we could have possibly packed in & plenty of Asian flair.
It’s that time again, the Fourth of July weekend. Time for celebrating the many freedoms and privileges we’ve been afforded.
Time for good food, tasty barbecues, fun times with friends and family, and plenty of fellowship whether it be around the picnic table or by the side of the pool.
One of the staples at all of our Independence Day celebrations is pasta salad. And not necessarily the same pasta salad every year either.
I recently decided to lighten things up, you know from our typically ‘heartier’ pasta sides, for the warmer weather of Spring & Summer.
This new spin on a timeless classic is packed with fresh, crisp veggies, tossed with a ginger dressing laced with Asian flavor.
If that wasn’t tasty enough, the whole thing’s then topped with a generous sprinkle of fresh, thinly sliced green onions and lightly toasted sesame seeds.
So if you’re looking for something a little bit bold, a little bit different, but totally fresh, consider bringing this sesame ginger pasta salad to the potluck table this weekend.
It pairs perfectly with just about anything a cookout can throw at you.
Want a heartier side dish, or looking to make this healthier pasta salad into a whole meal? That’s simple enough. Add some chopped rotisserie chicken to the bowl, and toss to combine. Alternatively, flaked cooked salmon is another delicious protein option to add in.
Not a fan of toasted sesame seeds? Crispy chow mein noodles or even slivered almonds both add the perfect crunchy topping to servings of this Asian style pasta salad.
If you’ve tried this SESAME GINGER PASTA SALAD, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Sesame Ginger Pasta Salad
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 4 inch ginger root peeled
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 16 oz farfalle pasta cooked according to the package directions, drained
- 8 oz snow peas blanched
- 1 sweet red pepper seeded & diced
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- In a small skillet, over medium heat, toast the sesame seeds, about two minutes or until they’ve turned a light brown. Set them aside.
- Use a fine grater to grate the ginger into a fine sieve placed over a small bowl. Press out the liquid with the back of a spoon to get the juices out. Should yield about 1 1/2 tbsp worth of liquid.
- To the ginger juice, add the mustard, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, and soy sauce. Whisk all the ingredients together until the dressing is smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cooked pasta, snow peas, diced pepper, chopped celery, and the dressing.
- Toss until everything is coated, and then put it in the refrigerator to chill. Serve cold, making sure to toss everything again right before hand.