This red velvet hot chocolate recipe is the perfect treat to celebrate Valentine’s Day or even Christmas with. This beautiful red hot cocoa recipe is full of white chocolate and creamy goodness that will leave you and your family want it again and again. Make a cup of this cozy cocoa today.
Hot chocolate is one of winter’s greatest pleasures isn’t it?
Honestly, if it weren’t for hot chocolate and hearty comfort food recipes, winter would just be the worst. But it’s hard to feel that way when you can warm up with a cup of this delicious creamy red velvet hot cocoa.
What is red velvet hot chocolate?
Red velvet hot chocolate is a spin on red velvet cake and hot cocoa.
Red velvet cake is a chocolate cake with a red or sometimes red brown color. Unlike other chocolate cake recipes, red velvet cakes use cocoa instead of chocolate to get their flavor.
Red velvet cake also uses a combination of buttermilk and vinegar for a silky mouthfeel and velvety texture.
This red velvet hot chocolate gives you the same silky texture and hint of chocolate flavor that red velvet cake gives you by combining heavy cream and white chocolate chips.
How to Make Red Velvet Hot Cocoa
Making red velvet hot chocolate is just as easy as making any other homemade hot cocoa recipe!
To make it, add the milk and heavy cream to a medium saucepan and heat it over medium high heat until it boils. When the milk and cream mixture reach a boil, turn the heat down to medium low.
Stir in the sugar and white chocolate chips now. Whisk until the chocolate chips are melted and the sugar is well combined.
Then remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and red food coloring. Ladle into glasses and serve hot.
Top with whipped cream, marshmallows and crushed peppermints if desired.
Not feeling peppermints? You can easily leave them off. We also like topping ours with seasonal mini m & m’s.
Tips and Tricks to Making the Yummiest Red Velvet Hot Cocoa at Home
Making delicious, creamy red velvet hot chocolate is so easy. Follow these suggestions to make the perfect homemade hot cocoa recipe each time:
- Feel free to substitute half milk chocolate chips for all white chocolate chips for a little more chocolate flavor. Be aware though that the color will be less vibrant red and more maroon.
- Don’t forget to turn the heat down prior to adding the chocolate and sugar. You don’t want to scald the chocolate or the sugar.
- Likewise, make sure to remove the hot cocoa from the heat before you add the vanilla extract. The vanilla will get bitter if it gets burnt.
Other Hot Chocolate Drinks You Might Love
Treat your family to this delicious red velvet hot chocolate recipe for Valentine’s Day, Christmas or just your next chilly day at home.
Looking for another indulgent hot chocolate drink? Try these:
If you’ve tried this RED VELVET HOT CHOCOLATE RECIPE, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Red Velvet Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 10 oz. white chocolate chips you can also use half milk and half white chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp red food color
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and cream over medium-high heat until boiling. About 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add in sugar and chocolate chips and whisk until both are melted and well combined. About 2-3 minutes
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract and red food color and mix well.
- Serve warm and top with whipped cream, mini marshmallows, and peppermint.
Leave a Comment