My pollo fundido recipe is an easy cheesy chicken dish based on the popular dish at many Mexican restaurants. This easy pollo fundido recipe results in savory seared chicken slathered in a zesty cheese sauce that’s perfect for feeding to the family. Switch up taco night with this delicious cheesy chicken.
Is there anything better than queso? Cheesy, zesty, gloriously delicious queso.
It’s my favorite when we go out for Mexican food. So it’s no secret that I absolutely love pollo fundido with it’s cheesy goodness.
What is pollo fundido?
Pollo fundido is a chicken dish that’s popular in many Mexican restaurants.
It’s name translates to ‘melted chicken’ or ‘molten chicken’ depending on who you ask.
Basically, it’s grilled seasoned chicken covered in a creamy, zesty white queso sauce.
It results in essentially chicken queso and it is every bit as good as it sounds.
It’s not just creamy cheese sauce that gives this dish its big flavor, but the seasoned salt mix you liberally season the chicken with.
Alternatively, the chicken can be wrapped in a soft flour tortilla chimichanga style before being served drenched in the rich, queso sauce.
How to Make Pollo Fundido
Making this cheesy chicken recipe is easy! You only need a handful of ingredients and a few minutes of prep and cook time before you are digging into the cheesiest most delicious chicken ever.
First up, cook the onion in two tablespoons of hot butter. Then remove the cooked onion and set it aside. Now you can add the spices and salt to a small bowl and mix them together until evenly incorporated.
Then you can season your chicken breasts liberally with the seasoned salt and cook them in the hot skillet, until the chicken is cooked through.
Once the chicken is cooked, you can transfer them to a cutting board. Let them rest for a couple minutes, then thinly slice the chicken into strips. Now put the cut chicken back into the pan along with the onions.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the queso and the can of chiles. Pour the queso mix over the chicken and bring it to a slow simmer.
To finish let the pollo fundido simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
TIPS & TRICKS for making this cheesy Mexican chicken dish:
- Use lean chicken, this will prevent you from having to trim strips of fat off & make dinner prep so much faster
- You can even use pre cut strips of raw chicken to really speed up the process
- If you like a little heat in your dish? Skip the canned chiles, and sub in a seeded, diced small jalapeno pepper.
- Don’t worry when you pour the cheese sauce over the chicken, when the dish is simmered it will thin out perfectly & naturally.
What to Serve with Pollo Fundido
I like to serve pollo fundido over rice.
You can also put this out as part of a Mexican spread with tortilla shells and all the fajita and taco fixings. It makes the best gourmet fajitas!
Other Cheesy Chicken Dishes You Might Love
This pollo fundido recipe is a winner when you are looking for zesty Mexican cheesy chicken. Make some tonight and wow your family!
Need some other Mexican-style meal time inspiration? Here are some other deliciously cheesy chicken dishes you might love:
If you’ve tried this POLLO FUNDIDO RECIPE, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Pollo Fundido Recipe
- 3 large chicken breasts slivered
- 1 large white onion thinly sliced
- 1 15 oz can queso blanco white cheese sauce
- 1 4 oz can diced green chili peppers
To Make The Chili Salt
- 1/8 cup sea salt
- 1/8 cup chili powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch smoked paprika
Making The Chili Salt
- Add all of those ingredients together, and use a fork to stir them together until evenly combined.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels. Season each chicken breast liberally with the prepared salt seasoning. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt a two tablespoons of butter. Once melted & hot add the onions. Stir the onions, cooking them until tender and lightly caramelized. Remove them from the skillet and set aside.
- Season the chicken liberally with the prepared salt, to your preference. Add them to the hot skillet and cook, turning as needed, until the chicken's cooked through.
- Transfer the cooked breasts to a cutting board and thinly slice them into strips. Transfer the strips back to the pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the queso sauce & green chiles. Whisk them together until combined.
- Add the onions back to the skillet, and stir them in with the cooked chicken strips. Pour the white sauce evenly out over the chicken and onions.
- Bring the mixture to a slow simmer, and let it simmer for 5 minutes- stirring occasionally. Cover in between stirrings.
- Serve as is over a bed of rice, or serve it Mexican buffet style with tortillas and all the fixings on the side.