Lunch, dinner, appetizer- either one and these scrumptious Pizza Pinwheels fit the bill perfectly. A healthy way to get some extra veggies into your family’s daily diet, nobody’s going to complain when you serve them something this pretty and this good.
Have you hopped on the Greek yogurt band wagon yet? You’ve at least heard about it, I’m sure.
Greek yogurt is great. It’s great for you, and packed with protein.
Did you know that in roughly the same amount of calories, Greek yogurt is able to pack up to double the protein, while cutting sugar content by half?
No? See, this is one of the major reasons that within the past couple years, Greek yogurt has managed to elbow it’s way onto refrigerator shelves everywhere.
If you’re wondering what makes it different, besides just the nutrition info, from it’s ‘regular’ counterpart, the Mediterranean version has been strained of it’s whey giving it an undeniably tangier and less sweet, as well as creamier, taste.
We’ve gone exclusively Greek in the yogurt department. But we haven’t stopped there.
Greek yogurt opens up tons of options in the recipe department. We love swapping it for sour cream in recipes, and even for cream cheese and mayonnaise.
There is so much untapped potential there.
Luckily, quick Google search or perusal of Pinterest will help you find a ton of conversion charts too. Man, has that been a life/flavor saver!
Pinwheels are a great option for a variety of needs. Lunches? Check. A denser snack? Check. An alternative to your traditional pizza night? Check.
Initially, the sons were suspicious. One bite of these Pizza Pinwheels though was enough to woo them though. The seasonings are perfect. The creamy yogurt pairs perfectly with some of our favorite fixings, packing more protein into every bite while leaving the extra calories behind.
- 4 oz fat free cream cheese softened
- 1/4-1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup diced black olives
- 1/4 cup diced green red, or yellow peppers
- 1/2 cup pepperoni
- 3 medium tortilla shells
- In a small bowl, add the cream cheese, yogurt, oregano, and garlic powder. Stir until everything is evenly incorporated and the mixture’s nice and creamy.
- Next, stir in the cheeses. Using a knife or spatula, gently spread the cheese mixture evenly ever the flat tortilla shells.
- Once you’ve spread your cheese mixture out, evenly sprinkle the olives and peppers over the cheese mixture. Finally, create a layer of pepperoni over the sprinkled toppings on each tortilla.
- Gently roll the tortillas up tightly (like a jelly roll), making sure everything stays inside. Wrap the tortilla roll up in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator and remove the plastic wrap. Cut each tortilla into roughly 8 pinwheels. Serve with toothpicks if desired.
pictures & post updated 9/6/18