One dish dinners are all the rage, for obvious reasons. This Italian Sausage, Potato, & Balsamic Vegetable Casserole is a simple meal that’s bursting with flavor. Everything gets cooked in a single casserole dish, meaning every veggies is infused filled with flavor.
This week has just been plain crazy.
The hubs got sick, was in and out of the ER for two days, and is now scheduled for a procedure tomorrow that will leave him incapacitated the rest of the week.
In between all the traveling, arranging emergency babysitters, making appointments, filling prescriptions (you get the idea) I’ve still had work to do, and a household to run and feed.
While it does take some time to cook, this wonderful, one-dish Italian Sausage, Potato, & Balsamic Vegetable Casserole recipe is perfect for nights like I’ve had this week.
This hearty meal filled the sons up and, without a lot of prep or real work involved on my part, I was able to get laundry done, and everything in order that I had neglected earlier in the day while it cooked.
I don’t think before this week, I had ever really taken time to appreciate the beauty of throwing all of these ingredients into a pan, popping it in the oven, and basically having time to do whatever else I needed to get done, be it chores, read a book, return phone calls.
And have a healthy, piping hot dinner ready in a little over an hour later.
It’s impossible to be in two places at once, and after the start to this week, I just wasn’t capable of any ‘exceeds expectations’ multi-tasking.
While I wasn’t able to have a ‘lazy day’ this week, this recipe was the perfect solution for my dinner-time dilemma.
And on those days where I am just being lazy (Shhh! Don’t tell the hubs. He thinks I slave away perfecting gourmet meals all day, everyday) this Italian Sausage, Potato, & Balsamic Vegetable Casserole meal gets my ‘meat & potato’ loving mens’ mouths watering!
So whether you’re trying to throw something together that doesn’t require constant vigilance and hours of actual preparation, or if you’re just trying to enjoy an evening without any extra ‘work’ for Mom…
this recipe will make your day.
Serve it with some garlic bread and a simple side salad for a full meal you’ll feel good about serving, when you didn’t even feel like serving anything at all.
Other easy supper ideas for lazy days that you might enjoy: Cheesy Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole, Creamy Chicken & Caesar Wild Rice Casserole, Sheet Pan Meatloaf Supper, and Loaded Italian-Style Sheet Pan Nachos.
Sausage Potato & Balsamic Vegetable Casserole
- 5 -6 Italian Sausages
- 1 lb potatoes washed, peeled, and cubed
- 1/2 lb carrots peeled and roughly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced (optional)
- 1 large onion cut into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Put all the prepared vegetables into a large roasting pan, or a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a bowl combine the garlic, oil, herbs, broth, and vinegar.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the vegetables and season with salt and black pepper.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake at 450 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Lightly brown the sausages and cut them in half.
- After 45 minutes add the sausages to the dish and spoon some of the juices back over the vegetables and the sausage.
- Bake, uncovered, for an additional 30 minutes, flipping the sausages after 15 minutes and placing back in the oven for the final 15 minutes.