A quick & easy dinner idea, this Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole is a family favorite meal that’s full of flavors everyone will love, even your pickiest of eaters.
Cheeseburgers, especially bacon cheeseburgers, are literally our most favorite thing to order out, whether we’re grabbing fast food or taking the time to sit down at a local restaurant.
There’s just something magical about that combination of prime ground beef, crisp bacon, and obviously cheeeeese. Oh, the cheese!
There are other prerequisites, like ketchup, mustard, tomatoes, even pickles. Can’t have one without the other. And fries are obviously a side staple.
With this Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole we skipped the bun, stirred everything into a single casserole dish, and threw the ‘fries’ right on in.
It doesn’t get any easier, or tastier, than this one dish dinner. It’s perfect for busy nights, or nights when you just don’t want to be stuck in the kitchen when you could be playing outside with the kids or doing some other family activity instead.
It’s no fuss. There’s no frills, but it’s simple comfort food the whole family will enjoy, and that even the pickiest of little eaters will always look forward to.
I’m not kidding when I say it’s easy to make. You brown your ground beef and onions in a skillet, drain the grease. Return them to the skillet and add a few of your burger favs, like ketchup, mustard, and dill pickle relish. When the mixture’s done, you pour it into a big old mixing bowl.
Let it cool, otherwise you’re gonna melt your tots, then stir in the other ingredients tossing to combine into a yummy ‘mixture’. You spread it all out in a prepared casserole dish, and sprinkle it with some more ‘love’, aka cheese (DUH!), and bacon crumbles. Then bake to basic perfection all in one casserole dish.
Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 6 strips of bacon, cooked crisp, drained, & crumbled
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 32 oz pkg frozen tater tots
- 1 can condensed cheddar soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- dill pickle slices, or dill pickle relish- for topping
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef & onion. When the beef's cooked. Drain the meat. Return the meat to the hot skillet and stir in the ketchup & mustard, until evenly combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cooled off ground beef mixture. Also add the cheese, tater tots, condensed soup, and sour cream. Stir just until evenly combined.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non stick cooking spray, then spread the mixture evenly out into the dish. Top with extra shredded cheese and bacon crumbs, if desired.
- Bake the dish at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
- Spoon onto plates, and serve topped with relish, or pickles, and topped with fresh veggies.