Chipped beef gravy is a hearty comforting breakfast your family will love. This diner classic tastes great over toast, home fries or almost anything else you can think of. Make this delicious creamed dried beef today!
Are you familiar with dried beef gravy? It’s so yummy and one of my favorite foods to eat whenever I go out to a diner or other breakfast spots.
But since we aren’t able to go out for breakfast these days thanks to social distancing, I’m making this classic at home.
What is chipped beef gravy?
Chipped beef gravy was a military staple that popped up in early 20th century cookbooks.
It’s dried beef that gets rehydrated in a creamy gravy and is then served over toast, hash browns or biscuits. You may have heard it called creamed dried beef, cream chipped beef, or even the more colorful Sh*t on a Shingle (SOS).
They are all the same thing and refer to this delicious comfort food.
How to Make Creamed Chipped Beef
Believe it or not, you can make chipped beef gravy quickly with just a few ingredients.
To make creamed dried beef, start by melting butter in a large skillet. Then, slowly whisk in the flour to form a roux. Stir constantly just until the roux is a paste-like consistency and golden in color.
Next, slowly whisk in the half & half. You want to keep whisking until it’s incorporated into the roux and the mixture has thickened slightly.
Now season the cream sauce with cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and nutmeg. Then stir in the cream cheese until it’s well blended. Bring the gravy to a boil, stirring constantly.
Reduce heat to a simmer. Then, you add the meat, and stir just until the meat is heated through. That’s it!
Now serve over toast or potatoes or any breakfast side you like! Believe it or not, it’s also really good served over warmed up leftover mashed potatoes- or even potato cakes.
Tips and Tricks for Delicious Chipped Beef Gravy
Make sure your creamed dried beef turns out perfectly each time with these tips and tricks.
- If you like your SOS a little thinner, stir in a bit more half and half after adding the cream cheese.
- For a meatier chipped beef gravy, add two packages of dried beef.
- Stirring is the key to a smooth, luxurious gravy. If you don’t stir, you won’t break up the lumps in the roux.
Looking for other Classic Diner Breakfast Staples?
Our family loves when we switch up breakfasts with this yummy creamed chipped beef gravy. Make it this week and find out how delicious this diner classic is!
Looking for other diner favorites? Try these:
- Diner Style Home Fried Breakfast Potatoes
- Perfect Fluffy Scrambled Eggs
- Homemade English Muffins
If you’ve tried this CREAMED CHIPPED BEEF GRAVY, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Creamed Chipped Beef Gravy
- 1 5 oz pkg dried chipped beef can use 2 if you want it really meaty
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 1/2- 3 cups half & half
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Slowly whisk in the flour to form a roux, stirring constantly. Just until it's all been evenly incorporated and the roux's thickened.
- Slowly add the half & half, whisking constantly, until that too's evenly incorporated and the mixture's thickened slightly.
- Season the sauce with cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add the cream cheese, and stir until well blended. If you prefer it a little thinner, you can add a little bit more Half and Half at this point.
- Bring the gravy to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add the meat, and stir just until the meat is heated through.
- Serve over toast, muffins, pancakes, waffles, rice, potatoes, whatever you like.