Instant Pot lazy lasagna gives you all the flavor of the classic dish with a fraction of the time and effort. This easy pressure cooker pasta takes only a few minutes to put together so you can enjoy the flavors of lasagna on even the busiest night of the week!
Lasagna is definitely a special occasion dish in our family.
With 4 busy kids and work and animals, I just don’t have time to put together a classic baked lasagna more than once in awhile.
We’re talking maybe Christmas or Easter or Birthdays or maybe if one of the kids asks very nicely.
But with this Instant Pot lazy lasagna, all that changes!
Because this lasagna doesn’t take all day and the hair of a unicorn to put together.
It comes together in under 30 minutes in one pot and tastes just like the real deal.
Dinner is done!
To make this you’ll need:
- Olive oil– It’s optional but recommended to cook the sausage in.
- Ground sausage– Go for Italian ground sausage. Either hot or mild is fine. If you don’t like sausage, feel free to substitute ground beef. You could also use half sausage, half beef.
- Aromatics– Both diced onion and minced garlic perfume this meal and give it the best flavor.
- Beef broth– You need extra liquid when you pressure cook pasta and this provides it along with extra flavor and richness.
- Pasta sauce– Use your favorite jar of pasta sauce or make your own marinara sauce. Either will work.
- Spices– A combination of Italian seasoning, garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano, ground thyme, salt and pepper and red pepper flakes provide tons of flavor.
- Lasagna noodles– Break them into pieces before you make this.
- Water– Provides more extra liquid so you avoid the burn notice. If you want, you can substitute equal parts of beef broth here.
- Cheese– Shredded Parmesan cheese, shredded mozzarella and ricotta.
How to Make
Unlike making traditional lasagna, this Instant Pot version is so easy!
To do it, start by adding olive oil to the bowl of your Instant Pot and turn the Pot onto Sauté mode on high.
Once the oil’s heated through and shimmers, add the sausage and onions to the pot.
Cook the sausage, crumbling the meat as it cooks, until it’s cooked through.
Then, drain off any excess grease and add the garlic to the pot. Saute the garlic until fragrant.
Once it’s fragrant, hit the ‘cancel’ button, to stop the cooking process.
Now, pour the broth into the pot and deglaze the bottom of the pot by making sure to scrape up any stuck on bits with a sturdy spoon.
Next, pour the water into the pot, followed by the the pasta sauce and seasonings.
Make sure to pour the water in before you pour in the sauce.
Add the lasagna pieces to the pot, making sure they aren’t all in a clump, and gently press them down so they’re just submerged in the sauce.
Secure the lid onto the pot and make sure the vent valve is set to the sealing position.
Pressure cook the mixture for 4 minutes.
Once done, carefully turn the vent valve to release the built up steam for a quick release.
Open the lid, and give the contents a stir to evenly combine.
Stir in the Parmesan cheese until melted.
Ladle the lasagna mixture into bowls or out onto plates.
Finish it by topping it with shredded mozzarella and/or a dollop of fresh ricotta before serving.
The leftovers of this hold up very well in the fridge.
Just add them to a sealed container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Microwave until warmed through to reheat.
Tips and Tricks
- Be careful to avoid hot steam which can burn when opening vent valve and when stirring in the Parmesan cheese.
- For an extra pop of color and flavorful garnish, chop or chiffonade some basil leaves and sprinkle them out over individual servings.
- Don’t skip draining off excess grease after cooking the meat!
- Make sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl when deglazing the pot or you run the risk of getting the dreaded burn notice.
Other Easy Instant Pot Meals
This Instant Pot Lazy Lasagna is one of favorite ways to enjoy the Italian classic.
Make it the next time you want lasagna but don’t want to fuss in the kitchen all day.
Looking for other easy Instant Pot meals?
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
- Instant Pot 40 Cloves of Garlic Chicken
- Instant Pot Meatloaf & Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken & Noodles
If you’ve tried this INSTANT POT LAZY LASAGNA, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Instant Pot Lazy Lasagna
- extra virgin olive oil optional
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 small white onion peeled & diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 25 oz jar pasta sauce
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 16 oz lasagna noodles broken
- 1 cup water
- pinch red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ricotta cheese for serving
- If using, add olive oil to the bowl of your Instant Pot, and press the Saute button on high. Once the oil's heated through (will appear shimmery), add the sausage & onions to the pot. Cook, breaking up & crumbling the meat as you do, until it's cooked through.
- Drain off any excess grease, and then add the garlic to the pot. Saute for an additional minute, just until fragrant. Hit the 'cancel' button, to stop the cooking process.
- Pour the broth into the pot, and use a sturdy spoon to deglaze the bottom of the pot- making sure to scrape up any stuck on bits as you do.
- Pour the water into the pot, followed by the the pasta sauce and seasonings. Add the lasagna pieces to the pot, making sure they aren't all in a pile or clump, and gently press them down so they're just submerged in the sauce.
- Add the lid, turning to close, and make sure the vent valve is set to the sealing position. Pressure cook the mixture for 4 minutes. Once done, carefully turn the vent valve to release the built up steam for a quick release.
- Open the lid, and give the contents a stir to evenly combine.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese until melted.
- Ladle the lasagna mixture into bowls or out onto plates.
- Top with shredded mozzarella and/or a dollop of fresh ricotta before serving.
recipe adapted from A Lily Love Affair