Instant Pot 40 cloves of garlic chicken is a creamy and flavorful way to enjoy chicken over pasta or rice. You can serve this flavor packed pressure cooker chicken any night of the week because it is ready with almost no work.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
Part of the family law is that the more garlic, the better!
Especially when it comes to chicken or pasta.
And this creamy chicken has lots of garlic, but don’t think it’s overpoweringly garlicky.
The garlic is mellow and so delicious with this creamy chicken.
You and your family will love it and you’ll love making it since it comes together with barely any effort but produces a restaurant quality meal.
Ingredients and tools
Here are all the ingredients you’ll need to make this tasty, garlicky delight.
- Chicken breasts – You’ll need to trim the fat.
- Cloves of peeled garlic – Don’t substitute garlic powder. The name of this is clove of garlic chicken for a reason.
- Salt & pepper – These are to taste and could be omitted.
- Fats – You’ll need both butter and extra virgin olive oil.
- Alcohols – You’ll need a bit of Bourbon and dry white wine, such as pinot grigiot.
- Fresh thyme leaves – These add extra flavor to the chicken.
- Flour – This helps thicken the sauce.
- Heavy cream – Heavy cream helps make a rich, creamy sauce.
How to make
Here are the easy to follow steps to make this recipe.
First, pat the chicken dry and then liberally season it with salt & pepper.
Next, set your pressure cooker on saute mode, and melt the butter and olive oil in it.
Working in two batches, add half the chicken to the inner pot and sear on both sides.
Once fully seared, remove the breasts to a waiting plate and then repeat with the remaining chicken. Set aside.
Next, add the garlic cloves to the pot and saute them, stirring & turning as needed, until they’re all evenly browned.
When the garlic is ready, pour the bourbon & white wine into the pot and use a sturdy spoon to deglaze the bottom.
You’ll need to remove any stuck on parts of the garlic with a sturdy spoon.
Next, add the chicken back to the pot and sprinkle it with the fresh thyme leaves.
When the fresh thyme has been added, turn the lid to close and set the vent to the sealed position.
Cook on normal pressure for 15 minutes and then let it naturally release for 10 minutes.
Use a wooden spoon to carefully turn the vent to release the remaining pressure.
Carefully open the pot and use a pair of tongs to transfer the chicken to a waiting plate.
Use caution when transferring the chicken, it can fall apart easily.
Once plated, cover them with foil to keep them warm.
Next, whisk the flour into the pot until completely incorporated.
Turn the pot onto sauté mode and allow the sauce to come to a boil and then whisk in the cream.
Allow the mixture to simmer for three more minutes.
Finally, turn the pot off and season the mixture with salt & pepper to taste.
Ladle the sauce & garlic cloves over the chicken and serve hot over pasta, rice, or on its own.
Serving and storing
Serve this hot from the pot with pasta, rice or even over mashed potatoes.
Crusty bread is also a great treat to serve with the chicken.
To store, place the chicken and sauce in an air tight container.
When you are ready to eat, you can reheat in the microwave for about 1 to 2 minutes or until warmed through.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure you don’t burn the garlic by stirring consistently and adding a little liquid if needed during the cooking process.
- Don’t overcrowd your pot when you are searing the chicken. Make sure to split it into two batches.
- For added flavor, sprinkle on Parmesan cheese when serving.
Other Instant Pot recipes
Instant Pot 40 cloves of garlic chicken is a family favorite and a weeknight staple in our house.
You should make it tonight for your family, they are sure to love the flavor too.
If you love using your Instant Pot, check out these other Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Meatloaf & Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
- Instant Pot Kielbasa, Potatoes, & Green Beans
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken & Noodles
If you’ve tried this INSTANT POT 40 CLOVES OF GARLIC CHICKEN, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Instant Pot 40 Cloves Of Garlic Chicken
- 5-6 chicken breasts about 3lbs, trimmed of fat
- 40 cloves peeled garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp bourbon divided
- 1 1/2 cup dry white wine such as pinot grigiot
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- Pat the chicken dry, and then liberally season it with salt & pepper.
- Set your pressure cooker on saute mode, and melt the butter and olive oil in it.
- Working in two batches, add half the chicken to the pot, sear on both sides, remove it to a waiting plate, and then repeat with the remaining chicken. Set aside.
- Add the garlic cloves to the pot, and saute them (stirring & turning as needed) until they're all evenly browned- roughly 5-10 minutes.
- Pour the bourbon & white wine into the pot, and use a sturdy spoon to deglaze the bottom- scraping up any browned bits as you go.
- Add the chicken back to the pot, and sprinkle it with the fresh thyme leaves.
- Turn the lid to close, set the vent to the sealed position, and cook on normal pressure for 15 minutes, and then let the dish naturally release for 10 minutes more.
- Using a wooden spoon, carefully turn the vent to release the remaining pressure.
- Using a pair of tongs, carefully transfer the chicken to a waiting plate so that it doesn't break apart during the process. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Whisk the flour into the pot until completely incorporated. Turn the pot onto saute mode and allow the sauce to come to a boil.
- Add the cream to the pot, whisking in to incorporate. Let the mixture simmer for 3 more minutes.
- Turn the pot off, and season the mixture with salt & pepper to taste. Be careful when tasting the sauce though, as it will be HOT.
- Ladle the sauce & garlic cloves over the chicken, and serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details. As always, all opinions are my own.