Boston cream pie cupcakes combine the best flavors of the classic, custard filled donut with everyone’s favorite dessert. Yellow cupcakes get stuffed with a rich homemade custard and topped with a dollop of chocolate icing for a dessert you’ll love!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
I love a good cupcake, but I don’t love spending all day in my kitchen making them.
These cupcakes are easy to make thanks to box mix and prepared chocolate icing, but are so special since they are loaded with the creamiest, dreamiest homemade custard ever.
An incredible dessert that tastes homemade even though you took a couple of short cuts.
No one will ever know as they are gobbling them up!
To make this you’ll need a handful of ingredients and couple of baking tools.
For the cupcakes you’ll need:
- Yellow cake mix– Use your favorite brand and make sure to gather the ingredients listed on the box as well (normally eggs, oil and water).
- Chocolate icing– Store-bought or your favorite chocolate buttercream recipe.
For the custard filling you’ll need:
- Egg yolks– Not whole eggs because you want all the richness from the yolks.
- Sugar– Granulated sugar, not brown sugar or powdered sugar.
- Corn starch– To thicken the custard
- Butter– For maximum silkiness
- Vanilla– Use real vanilla extract for best flavor.
Some kitchen tools you’ll need
- Cupcake pan and liners– A standard size pan and any liners you like.
- Icing piping kit with 1M tip
- Spoon– To remove the centers of the cupcakes.
How to Make
Making these is a snap!
To do it start by preparing and baking your cupcakes according to box instructions and let them cool completely.
Then, use a spoon to cut out the center of each cupcake as shown and set the tops aside.
After that, make your custard.
To make it, beat the egg yolks lightly and set them aside.
Then add the sugar, cornstarch, and milk in a pot, and whisk until well combined.
Then heat it over medium heat and stir it unil it bubbles.
After it bubbles, let it keep simmering for two minutes and remove from heat.
Take 1/4 cup of your mixture and add to your egg yolks, whisking well.
When it’s all combined, add it back to the pot.
Turn the heat back on and let bubble for two minutes until it becomes thick.
Once the custard thickens, take the pot off the heat and add in vanilla and butter.
Cover, placing a layer of plastic wrap on top of the custard and refrigerate until cool.
Fill the center of each cupcake with custard, and place the tops back on.
Pipe icing onto each cupcake.
Serve and enjoy!
Because these cupcakes have a custard filling, you should store them in your fridge.
To do it, place them in a deep, lidded container in a single layer.
Cover the container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Tips and Tricks
- Use your favorite box brand. You could also use your favorite recipe for homemade vanilla or yellow cake.
- Don’t skip adding a bit of the warm custard ingredients to the egg yolks before you add the yolks to the custard. This step tempers the egg yolks and prevents them from scrambling when you add them to the warm ingredients.
- If you lay a piece of plastic wrap down right on top of the cooked custard, it won’t get a skin on it while it cools.
Other Easy Cupcake Recipes You’ll Love
These Boston cream pie cupcakes are a hit for birthdays and other celebrations.
Make them the next time you feel like making a little something sweet that feels super special without a ton of effort!
Looking for other easy cupcake recipes?
- Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
- Baby Ruth Cupcakes
- Strawberry Crunch Cupcakes
- Lemonade Cupcakes
If you’ve tried thes BOSTON CREAM PIE CUPCAKES, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
- Icing Piping Kit w/ 1M Tip
- 1 box of Yellow Cake Mix and ingredients included in instructions
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 6 tablespoons of Sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of Corn Starch
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons of Milk
- 1 tablespoon of Butter
- 1 teaspoons of Vanilla
- 1 container of Chocolate Icing
- Start by preparing and baking your cupcakes according to box instructions.
- Let cool completely.
- Cut out center with a spoon, as shown and set top aside.
- Beat egg yolks lightly and set aside.
- Place sugar, corn starch, and milk in a pot, and whisk until well combined.
- Place over medium heat and stir until bubbly.
- Simmer for two minutes and remove from heat.
- Take 1/4 cup of your mixture and add to your egg yolks.
- Mix, and add back to pot.
- Whisk until smooth custard forms.
- Place back over heat and let bubble for two minutes until it becomes thick.
- Remove from heat and add in vanilla and butter.
- Cover and place in fridge until cool.
- Fill the center of each cupcake with custard, and place the tops back on.
- Pipe icing onto each cupcake.
- Serve and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details. As always, all opinions are my own.