Instant Pot dulce de leche is an easy way to make a delicious dessert topping. This set it and forget it recipe results in the most luscious finishing touch for spooning over ice cream or drizzling over cake or cheesecake.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
I love recipes that have a big pay off for barely any work.
This dulce de leche is one of those set it and forget it recipes that makes something extraordinary with little effort.
You can start this cooking as you sit down to dinner and have it ready to go by the time you are ready for dessert.
It’s that simple.
What is dulce de leche?
Dulce de leche is very similar to caramel sauce.
It is milk and sugar cooked down to make a rich brown sauce perfect for drizzling over desserts.
How is dulce de leche different from caramel?
Dulce de leche tastes very similar to caramel and is used in the same way.
The main difference is that caramel is made from heating up sugar until it is brown.
You can add butter and milk to the heated sugar to make a caramel sauce.
- Can of sweetened condensed milk – There really is no substitute for the condensed milk.
- Vanilla extract – This is optional. Go for real vanilla extract if you use it.
How to make dulce de leche in the Instant Pot
Dulce de leche is a super easy to make in the Instant Pot.
And there is virtually no mess!
Here’s how to make it.
First, remove the label and the top of the can sweetened condensed milk.
Next, cover the top with aluminum foil.
Place a trivet on the bottom of your Instant Pot and place the sweetened condensed milk in the center of the trivet.
Carefully pour about 8 cups of water or until the water reaches the halfway mark on the can.
Once the water is added, place the lid on the pot and make sure the valve is set to sealing.
With the lid in place, set manual pressure for 40 minutes followed by a quick release of pressure when the time is up.
If you want, you can stir in the vanilla extract now.
You can use immediately as a tasty topping or allow to cool completely to store in the fridge.
Serving and storing
Dulce de leche goes great served over ice cream, cake, or even as a dip for your favorite cookies.
I love to serve mine over my favorite ice cream as a smooth, creamy topping.
To store, allow it to cool completely before pouring into an air tight container.
You can store the dulce de leche for about 3 to 4 days in the fridge.
Before serving, allow it to come up to room temperature or gently warm in the microwave for about 15 seconds.
Tips and tricks
Here are some great tips for making this recipe.
- When pouring the water into the pot, be careful not to fill it too high. It should only come about half way up the can.
- Don’t forget to remove the label on the can before cooking.
- Serve with your favorite ice cream, cake, cookies, or pies.
Other Easy Desserts
My family and I love pouring this Instant Pot Dulce de Leche over our favorite ice cream flavors.
It is a great substitute for caramel or butterscotch that you should try to night with your favorite dessert.
For other great dessert options, check out these posts:
If you’ve tried this INSTANT POT DULCE DE LECHE, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Instant Pot Dulce De Leche
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional
- Remove the label and the top of the sweetened condensed milk and cover the top with aluminum foil.
- Add a trivet into the bottom of your instant pot and place the sweetened condensed milk in the center of the trivet. Carefully pour in about 8 cups of water or until the water reaches the halfway mark on the can.
- Add the lid and make sure it is in the sealing position. Set manual pressure for 40 minutes and manually release pressure when the time is up.
- Carefully remove the can from the instant pot and add in vanilla extract if using. You can use immediately or allow to cool completely and add to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for future use. Be sure to bring to room temperature before using.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details. As always, all opinions are my own.