Learn how to make a kitty litter cake for a gross but yummy Halloween treat. A take on dirt cakes, this meow-th watering cake will be a hit anytime you serve it!
This post and recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
What is Halloween if not a chance to get your gross dessert game on?
To be very clear, I am talking only about desserts that look gross. I am all about delicious desserts!
This kitty litter cake totally fits that bill.
It’s uncomfortably disgusting looking since it looks exactly like a litter box, but it’s so yummy and easy to make!
Ingredients and Materials
To make this semi-homemade Halloween cake, you’ll need the following food ingredients:
- Cake mix– You’ll need a box of vanilla cake mix and a box of chocolate cake mix plus the ingredients listed on the boxes.
- Pudding– Vanilla instant pudding mix plus the ingredients listed on the package
- Golden Oreos– A whole package.
- Green food coloring– To give the Oreo crumbs that authentic kitty litter look.
- Small tootsie rolls– To decorate the cake and look like…. well, you know… 💩
You’ll also need:
- A litter box – And I can’t stress this enough: make sure it’s new!
- Pooper scooper – Also, make sure it’s new!
How to Make
Making this is disgustingly easy!
To do it, prepare the cake mixes according to the package instructions.
Once they are baked, set them aside to cool completely. Then, prepare the pudding according to the package instructions and refrigerate it to chill.
Once both the cakes and pudding are cool, pulse the Golden Oreos in a food processor and pulse until crumbled.
Transfer 1/4 cup of cookie crumbs to a small mixing bowl, and set aside the rest. Add 1 drop of green food coloring to the quarter cup of cookie crumbs and stir.
Now it’s time to put the cake together.
To do it, crumble both cooled cakes into the clean kitty litter tray followed by half of the uncolored Oreo crumbs and then half the chilled pudding. Stir it until evenly combined.
If the cake isn’t moist enough, stir in more pudding. Otherwise, save the rest of the pudding to enjoy later.
Then, add several Tootsie Rolls to a microwave safe plate, and heat them just until they are pliable. Gently stretch the warm Tootsie Rolls and then lay them out haphazardly over the cake.
Spread the remaining plain crumbled oreos evenly out over top. Sprinkle the green cookie crumbs evenly out over top. You can use some of them, or all of them.
Heat 3 or 4 more Tootsie Rolls in the microwave, shape them, and nestle 3 of them on top of the cookie crumbs. Drape the remaining one down one corner of the kitty litter tray.
Serve with a new, clean pooper scooper.
Tips and Tricks
- You can substitute cheesecake pudding for vanilla if you prefer.
- For an extra disgusting look, substitute pistachio pudding instead.
- It doesn’t matter what you bake the cakes in since they get crumbled.
- The cake will be thick enough that it won’t fall through the pooper scooper.
Other Scary Halloween Desserts
This kitty litter cake is perfect for a Halloween party or potluck. You’ll love making and eating this treat!
Looking for other scary Halloween desserts? Try these:
If you’ve tried this KITTY LITTER CAKE or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
How To Make A Kitty Litter Cake
- NEW plastic kitty litter tray/box
- NEW plastic pooper scooper
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 5.1 oz pkg vanilla instant pudding
- 1 pkg golden oreos
- green food coloring
- small tootsie rolls
- Prepare the cake mixes according to the package instructions, then set aside to cool completely.
- Prepare the pudding according to the package instructions, then refrigerate to chill.
- Add the oreos to a food processor and pulse until crumbled. Transfer 1/4 cup of cookie crumbs to a small mixing bowl, and set aside the rest. Add 1 drop of green food coloring to the 1.4 cup of cookie crumbs and stir until evenly combined.
- Crumble both cooled cakes into the clean kitty litter tray. Add half of the plain cookie crumbs. Add half the chilled pudding, and stir until evenly combined. If the cake isn't moist enough, stir in more pudding- otherwise, save the rest of the pudding to enjoy later.
- Add several tootsie rolls to a microwave safe plate, and heat just until soft/pliable. Gently stretch them and then lay them out haphazardly over the cake. I recommend doing at least 6 of these shapes.
- Spread the remaining plain crumbled oreos evenly out over top.
- Sprinkle the green cookie crumbs evenly out over top. You can use some of them, or all of them.
- Heat 3-4 more tootsie rolls in the microwave, shape them, and nestle 3 of them on top of the cookie crumbs. Drape the remaining one down one corner of the kitty litter tray.
- Serve with clean pooper scooper.
- Can sub cheesecake flavored pudding for vanilla, and for a fun, yuckier look- swap it for pistachio!
- Worried the cake will fall through the 'scooper'? It won't! The cake mixture's thick and scoops well.
Welcome!!! It is almost Halloween which means it is time for this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipe and giveaway event!!
#HalloweenTreatsWeek is a yearly Halloween blogging event that is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 4th annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 28 hauntingly talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week!
Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Prize #1 from Dixie Crystals
41 Pieces Silicone Bakeware Set
3 Piece Halloween Silicone Spatula Set
Nordic Ware Haunted Skull Cakelet Pan
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsor to winner, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 11th – October 15th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 1 (ONE) prize pack and therefore we will have a total of 1 (ONE) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing brand sponsors: Dixie Crystals that provided a prize pack for our giveaways and also sent some samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.
Check out all of these great #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes for today
- Jack-O-Lantern Piñata Cookies from Big Bear’s Wife
- Candy Corn Pudding Pops from Semi Homemade Recipes
- Black Velvet Cupcakes from Jen Around the World
- Churro Cupcakes from Devour Dinner
- Halloween Muddy Buddies from The Redhead Baker
- Kitty Litter Cake from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
- Halloween Sweet Treats Board from Cookaholic Wife
- Ghost Meringues from House of Nash Eats
- Count Chocula Pudding Shots from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Spider Web Apple Pops from Sweet Beginnings
- Caramel Apple Board from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodles from Our Good Life